bedside replacement

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i just bought an 85 idi with a pretty bad case of rust above the wheel wells. my question is does anyone know what it takes to replace the entire bedside with one from lmc? thanks for any advice

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are held together with spot welds. I drill out the welds and the side comes off.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the same thing but just the wheel well arch section on both sides, not the whole side.
gunz
I thought same thing, to easy to undo the spot welds for the whole side. Once you have the new side in spot weld again,:dunno

randomq

Reaction score
I've never done a bedside on one of our trucks, but with every other one I've done, had to take the bed loose and set it back, so you could get to the spot welds on the front side of the bed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drilling out spotwelds is about as fun as going to the dentist.
you're drilling out heat hardened metal.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
drilling out spotwelds is about as fun as going to the dentist.
you're drilling out heat hardened metal.

they make special drill bits for these....either a straight carbide bit (eastwood mfg sells them) or you can get the mini holesaw type. which has a carbide blade... either way makes quick work of spot welds.

the PIA is when the factory put 2 or 3 right next to each other. it makes the bit grab and walk