Battery Question?

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 85 F250 I am getting has a dual battery setup like the 90 I have. Is this stock and what batteries are used in it?

Last edited:

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this is stock, I would use a pair of batteries with at least 650 CCA especially if it still has the old style delco starter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes its a stock item. You need at least two 850 amp batteries. These motors require plenty of amps to turn them over. remember they have a 21 to 1 compression ratio and the glow plugs eat up lots of the amps when starting cold. I like to think of it one battery for the starter and one for the glow plugs.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
As for batteries, any car/truck batteries will work, the higher the CCA the better and use the same brand/size, try not to mix-and-match.

Last edited:

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Batteries out of my 90 that should fit then both are group 65. These where in the 90 when I bought it. I think they will fit. I know if the batteries are not right the glow plugs will not work right. the timer seems to go wacky.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 85 F250 I am getting has a dual battery setup like the 90 I have. Is this stock and what batteries are used in it?

Standard in the 1985 was TWO Group-27F.

Better by far and they WILL FIT are Group-31.

sootman73

Reaction score
i put two 1100 amp batteries in my ford and can start from 10 degrees with glow plugs and no block heater plugged in. can crank many times on and off until it fires. my friends 6.5 has big diehards and only gets one chance at starting it. i found it best to go get the walmart batteries. i say that because when one goes bad for any reason its so easy to get new ones for free. the people there never seem to know what they are doing so they just exchange them. i have only ever bought two batteries.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use smaller batteries IF you use a gear reduction starter instead of the old delco, Plus the reduction starter spins them over faster and seems to be easier on wiring etc. Hey sootman I work at Walmart, someone will be coming to see you(Just kidding) can't much blame you

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
X2 on Walmart batteries, Why is Walmart has a better selection of automotive basics than the auto parts store? They are around $70 each here.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the highest CCA battery that you can put into the location. Most recommend 850 as the bare min. to put into the duel battery setups.

The older dual batteries used a group 27 IIRC. If a Group 31 will fit, go take a look at the selection at Carquest. Local one had the highest CCA rating when I compared group 31's to other brands. Plus they were on sale....some time ago (listed in Popular Mechanics- was less then $90 each).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus the reduction starter spins them over faster

I believe you have that backwards; a gear-reduction starter actually spins the flywheel SLOWER, hence the "gear-reduction"; just like when you select a lower gear in the transmission, the tail-shaft of the transmission spins SLOWER, thus easier.

With good stout batteries, the stock-type starter will spin the engine faster than a reduction starter.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I've got it right, the motors on the gear reduction starters turn at a much higher rpm but because of the gear reduction turn the engine over with much less effort. I have changed out many delco starters to the gear reduction Mitsubishi style, gear reduction always turns them over faster

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I've got it right, the motors on the gear reduction starters turn at a much higher rpm but because of the gear reduction turn the engine over with much less effort. I have changed out many delco starters to the gear reduction Mitsubishi style, gear reduction always turns them over faster

Gear reduction spins faster. IIRC, the gear on the motor maybe bigger then the gear it engages (the one that the bedix is on). Big gear turning smaller gear means it turns smaller gear FASTER. Direct drive starter turning at (example) 1000 rpms vs a gear reduction motor turning at 1000 rpms.... the actual RPM sent to the flywheel would be much faster.

I'm a firm believer of gear reduction starters. I've refit my own JD2240 w/ one. Before the g.r-starter, it had a hard time starting (and yes, I checked everything.)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gear reduction spins faster. IIRC, the gear on the motor maybe bigger then the gear it engages (the one that the bedix is on). Big gear turning smaller gear means it turns smaller gear FASTER. Direct drive starter turning at (example) 1000 rpms vs a gear reduction motor turning at 1000 rpms.... the actual RPM sent to the flywheel would be much faster.

I'm a firm believer of gear reduction starters. I've refit my own JD2240 w/ one. Before the g.r-starter, it had a hard time starting (and yes, I checked everything.)

If that be the case, then a gear-reduction starter would require a much stouter battery to over-ride the higher gearing, instead of a weaker battery being able to spin the flywheel easier.

For example, with enough "gear reduction", a 50-HP four-cylinder engine can pull the same load as a much larger/stronger engine that has no gear reduction, just not nearly as fast.

I could be wrong, but I don't see it.:dunno

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small gear is on the motor, large gear is on the bendix shaft, with motor turning over twice the rpm's as a straight drive delco with almost half the effort, just takes less juice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online