Battery cables, good source?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Where are you guys ordering cable for your batteries? Seems not many places local carry big cable and the ones that do are pretty pricey. Where have you guys ordered online with good pricing? Thinking 2/0 for grounds and 2/0 between positives then 3/0 to starter and ring lugs on all connections. I don't want a factory style positive cable, particularly since cables are cheap I'd rather spend a little more and go overkill so I don't have to worry about it again.

I don't have stud posts on my batteries but will either get adapters or just bite the bullet and get group 31s. Had a no start the other day at 2* in the morning and had to drive the 460 truck, and that was a bit slow to turn over with a fairly new 810 CCA battery and 2 gauge cables. Anyhow, one of my ground cables has a cracked clamp and was loose so I think it was only trying to start on one battery that cold morning. Got two tries and she kind of sputtered a bit and stalled then that was it for spinning fast enough to have a chance. Figure I should just replace and upgrade all the cables since they're old and ratty.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 2/0 welding cable throughout. Check your local welding supply, and if they have some ends of the spools, they might sell them at a discount. I went with ring terminals on the cables, and used a nato type battery terminal, like these:
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, the rings for 2/0 cables are too big for the terminals, so I soldered a brass washer on the terminal and used a step drill to enlarge the hole.
You must be registered for see images attach

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pre-made cable from carquest, good quality, fits nicely, not cheap but it was less expensive than making one up. I ended up making the negatives with 2/0 cable and terminals.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When using welding cable (which may be slightly resistant to oil, it isn't to all auto fluids)
Why couldn't a person run it in some conduit?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When using welding cable (which may be slightly resistant to oil, it isn't to all auto fluids)
Why couldn't a person run it in some conduit?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

like a section of garden hose with the ends filled up with some silicone.