Barn find update, and HHO generator

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I played with an HHO generator on an 86' 4x4 suburban. I had positive results, without the HHO I'd get an average of 13.5 mpg. With the HHO my average was 19 mpg.

Having that said, it was a pita maintaining the system. I didn't drive the truck that often, but ran it around 5,000 miles with the HHO system working.

The experience gave me a couple things for 'food for thought', one, is that there are real ways to increase mileage outside the norm; two, there's got to be one hell of an agenda to keep people under the thumb of subjugation, and control(obvious since it worked for me, but real information on such things is far, and few between, and basically swept under the rug).

The mileage increase you got on the Suburban is very close to the increase I got on Henry- just a tad over 4 mpg. I would recommend using lye rather than KOH as an electrolyte, and running a mist filter. I even run a dryer after the mist filter-
You must be registered for see images attach
It's probably overkill, but our intake manifolds and pistons ARE aluminum..;Really

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a big thread on this here subject on OB quite some time ago...guy has quite the setup in the box.....what about a hydrogen tank and some type of injection system similar to propane etc adding mileage

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
There was a big thread on this here subject on OB quite some time ago...guy has quite the setup in the box.....what about a hydrogen tank and some type of injection system similar to propane etc adding mileage

Yeah, that was me.. With just straight hydrogen you see very little (if any) gain because you're still limited to the same amount of oxygen being delivered to the combustion chamber, with HHO (2H,1O) It supplies its own oxygen in the exact quantity needed for perfect conversion.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was me.. With just straight hydrogen you see very little (if any) gain because you're still limited to the same amount of oxygen being delivered to the combustion chamber, with HHO (2H,1O) It supplies its own oxygen in the exact quantity needed for perfect conversion.

Please is there a hho forum for more info...lol

toby2tongues

Reaction score
I figured this project would get folks talking.

the project will be a few days delayed, my best friends truck just sh*t the bed 2 days before a his scheduled vacation to Tx for some deer hunting, so he is taking the truck for a week. I should be able to get the kit installed between the 11th and the 13th.

as for the advice on the drying/filtering...very good advice, thank you. I will wait till after the initial tests to determine whether or not to start adding modifications. I am already out a considerable amount of money for this little science experiment, and will wait to see if there is any significant advantages before I starting spending more cash on it.

I know that this is off topic, but given the long hauls I make with this truck, I really needs an overdrive. I have seen the "bolt-on kits", but they are outrageously expensive...any advice on a direct fit transmission with an overdrive for this truck?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a homemade hydrogen system on my truck for about a year when I first bought I t. HHO generator produced 4LPM and it did make a difference in fuel mileage. When running straight WATF, I would get 13mpg without system turned on. With generator on, it would consistently get 16.5 mpg. When running diesel fuel, I would get 16mpg off & about 18mpg turned on. These were all highway miles.
System worked great for about a year until plates and o-rings corroded away and leaked corrosive material all over the place. I also noticed that the system would no longer produce 4LPM after about 6 months of use. They need to be rebuilt often. I eventually removed it as I did not see much benefit with its efficiency and longevity.
Your filtertion system does look a bit overkill. I think that will restrict your flow. I had an identical filter but used a few of those stainless steel dish cleaning balls to filter out the liquid. Even put a drain on the bottom of filter. Worked great.....for a while.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Indeed with these small setups there is not a huge amount of additional BTU of fuel going in. Color me skeptical. Maybe it does promote more complete combustion. Looking forward to hearing your results.

There is the fellow in the 70s who claimed nearly 100 MPG from a 60s Galaxie with a 390 IIRC. He made some sort of vapor carb that would more or less boil the fuel and run off the vapor rather than atomize the liquid. Interesting idea. Guy disappeared, either there's nothing to it or the oil companies offed him. I'd imagine something like that could run an engine, but would be difficult to maintain appropriate mixture. Probably lots of driveability issues, low power, etc. if it worked at all on a normal sized engine.
gasoline is?? liquid........propane is?? liquid turned to gas.......smokey yunick did this,,on a Omni or horizon,,with gasoline,was posted in pop science,,then all of a sudden,,after three issues,,no more said...................................nawwwwww, gov and car co's and fuel co's aint crooked...what about wildly fluctutating gas prices lately....yah, uh huh..................

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I had a homemade hydrogen system on my truck for about a year when I first bought I t. HHO generator produced 4LPM and it did make a difference in fuel mileage. When running straight WATF, I would get 13mpg without system turned on. With generator on, it would consistently get 16.5 mpg. When running diesel fuel, I would get 16mpg off & about 18mpg turned on. These were all highway miles.
System worked great for about a year until plates and o-rings corroded away and leaked corrosive material all over the place. I also noticed that the system would no longer produce 4LPM after about 6 months of use. They need to be rebuilt often. I eventually removed it as I did not see much benefit with its efficiency and longevity.
Your filtertion system does look a bit overkill. I think that will restrict your flow. I had an identical filter but used a few of those stainless steel dish cleaning balls to filter out the liquid. Even put a drain on the bottom of filter. Worked great.....for a while.

Don't feel too bad, a lot of folks had issues with the o-ring style electrolysers. The EPDM gaskets I'm using have held up remarkably well IMHO, but everything has its lifetime. If you used 316L for your plates, about the only thing that will corrode them is too much voltage per cell, which is pretty common with bipolar dry cells.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember guys when you are doing electrolysis it's actually forming hydrogen gas (h2) and oxygen gas (O2). They are radicals when formed that spontaneously grab a partner. Anything that makes hydrogen and oxygen is going to be ******* stuff. Remember you only need about 1.8 V to do the reaction. Anything else is just loss. Distillers water will help with your corrosion problems too. You are also forming acid and base during this process too especially if there is salt around.

You also have to figure cost of maintenance consumables and wear and tear. No such thing as free energy. You have to be working the alternator pretty hard to generate those types of quantities of gas.

Not saying it couldn't be worth it but it is a bean counting exercise.

toby2tongues

Reaction score
the kit arrived yesterday. looks pretty nice....all the mounting hardware, and automated pulse frequency modulator that will change the frequency of the DC pulse going to the plates to maintain a consistent current draw, a gas filter/dryer, reservoir tank, deformer, and the electrolytes.

here are the pictures. the installation instructions on the website are pretty thorough, there are no printed instructions that come with the kit. all the parts seem pretty well made, delivery was fast.

My buddy ended up not needing the truck this weekend, so I will see about getting this put in Saturday. but my ol'lady coming in to town from Tx so that may delay the project, but she is pretty handy with a wrench and may want to see this go together, so we shall see...I will keep you guys updated.

As for the build itself, it is all pretty straight forward, I will take pics of the finished product...pretty much just find places to screw things down, tube it up, set up the pulse width modulator and turn it on.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even think about it when I wrote it.

Did I miss it or is there a link somewhere here to the kit you bought? I'm curious why you would need a waveform generator. Electrolysis requires DC current at a voltage above like 1.8V. Not sure why pulsing would be necessary other than maybe to reduce power consumption, but reduced power consumption means reduced production. Electrons in, gas out. :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the kit arrived yesterday. looks pretty nice....all the mounting hardware, and automated pulse frequency modulator that will change the frequency of the DC pulse going to the plates to maintain a consistent current draw, a gas filter/dryer, reservoir tank, deformer, and the electrolytes.

here are the pictures. the installation instructions on the website are pretty thorough, there are no printed instructions that come with the kit. all the parts seem pretty well made, delivery was fast.

My buddy ended up not needing the truck this weekend, so I will see about getting this put in Saturday. but my ol'lady coming in to town from Tx so that may delay the project, but she is pretty handy with a wrench and may want to see this go together, so we shall see...I will keep you guys updated.

As for the build itself, it is all pretty straight forward, I will take pics of the finished product...pretty much just find places to screw things down, tube it up, set up the pulse width modulator and turn it on.

WHERE THE $€@$ DID YOU GET THE KIT......LINKS MAN...WE WANT LINKS!!!