Barn Find! - Liquid Cooled ATS Turbo

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure when the truck will be brought down here, but I'm anxiously waiting to get my hands on it and see what I can learn about all the interesting goodies it has. And to take better pictures to share. Sounds like the man who owned it would've fit right in with the bunch here, since from what I've been told it has a bunch of the mods we all tend to eventually do to our trucks.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a very interesting turbo system. Never seen the ATS turbo intake like that. It reminds me of a hypermax, but clearly is ATS with the big ATS cast into it.

Very cool in deed. US gear also that's awesome. I have a US gear and love it.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to check the truck out in person. Pretty damn sweet! After a quick service and inspection job, he drove it 8 hours home without a problem.
I was helping him out trying to diagnose a no/low boost issue yesterday. He's only been able to get 3 psi out of it, and that is only when pushing it hard. I couldnt get the gauge to move when I took it for a spin. The turbo whistles like a 6.0, and even has a pretty loud whistle from the exhaust at idle. It spools up crazy fast, though non-wastegated. But is producing no boost. Haven't found any obvious boost leaks either.
Anyways, here's some pictures I took while working on it yesterday...

You must be registered for see images attach

Aftermarket fuel filter head, with a massive CAT 1R-0750 filter:

Braided fuel lines and transmission cooler lines throughout

Fuel/water seperator, which has a large filter as well, and an inline transmission filter:

Got that old turbo blanket off:

Found this in the glovebox. Check out that serial number!!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whistle + low boost sounds like a boost leak to me. Doesn't take much. I'd try to pressurize the intake somehow. A smoke machine would be the best, but hard to get one.