banks turbo

f250dually

Reaction score
I have a banks sidewinder turbo kit on my 89 7.3. The turbo has lost the bearings and needs to be replaced. I contacted banks and they pointed toward a few choice re-builders, then I found some re-build kits on ebay for $125. My question is: has any one re-built their banks turbo using one of these kits? If so, how involved was it ? I could also buy a reman. banks turbo for $625. Any advice would be great!
Thanks Tony

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Tony... I need to ask this question.... What caused the bearings to fail and did the inlet fan hit or rub the aluminum housing.... If it did no $125.00 kit will fix that damage.... A member named TYP4 (rus) rebuilds these turbos and is working in Washington at the time.... He would be the best bet to talk with about what you need. The aluminum fan or impeller on the intake side is easily replaced and they are cheap and plentiful but.... The hot wheel and shaft are one part plus.... Very expensive and hard to locate... Banks is no help with parts either... I live about 15 miles from Banks and am up there often... They will sell you another turbo for around $1200.00 too....:eek::rotflmao Thats just the turbo that bolts to the cast iron collecter... Not the whole kit..... Ask Russ... Whatever he says is the truth and he wont be deep in your pocket like other places are.... Rus has a great reputation here and treats a client fair.... I have delt with him many times and always got a great deal.....

f250dually

Reaction score
I have had the truck for about 1 month, so Idon't know why they failed. The inlet fan has rubbed on the housing, so it may be shot. What is the "hot wheel"? I have not removed it yet as it is my daily work truck. The fan rubbing noise is not very consistent, but it does rub from time to time.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The wheel u see when you remove the inlet is the compressor. The hot side or turbine is the part that the exhaust gases spin. Hence hot side. You most likely need a compressor wheel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The hot wheel is the exhaust impeller on the hot side of the turbo. Running it will makes the repair costs much higher. The turbo you qoted at about $650.00.... What does that include. It may only be the center section and not the complete turbo with both inlet and outlet housings. If it does not include the aluminum intake housing its not going to fit your needs.... You can't just use your rubbed inlet housing with a new turbo.... There will be too much clearance between the impeller and the housing. At this point that sounds like your best deal.... To continue to run this with the inlet wheel rubbing on the housing will throw more and more aluminum into the cylinders thru the intake... Very risky idea... these turbo shafts spin in excess of 100,000 rpm.... When they rub metal gets cut off and things have a way of really wrecking the engine... We do have a screen over the intake but.... It will only catch the large pieces.... Not the stuff smaller than about 1/8 inch.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That listing is from a great rebuilder in Utah. Thats also a non wastegated turbo. Parts are easier to find for that unit and again... Thats a great price for a complete... Ready to bolt on and go item.... Still, I would say contact typ4 and talk with him about what you have.... Not running it is another good idea too....

Last edited:

f250dually

Reaction score
So how do I know if I have a wastegated or non-wastegated? I was hoping that they would be universal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My wastegated Banks turbo is made by Mistubishi... If you have a prt number when you call overseas they will sell to you but.... they wont look up any parts for you... A crappy way to do business... I'm guessing they just don't feel like selling parts or making money....cookoo:dunno A wastegate turbo will have what looks like a vacuum can with an arm attached to an internal valve on the hot side of the turbo.... Its actually a pressure pot that sees pressure from the intake side of the turbo.... when it reches around 9 lbs it pushes the arm which opens an internal exhaust valve so exhaust bypass's the hot side of the turbo limiting the boost at the set pressure.... We can raise the pressure by lengthing the rod.....:sly:D

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt mine the hot side impellar had a few small dings on the wheel. I was going t replace but I think it was 175 but this is on a garret turbo not sure what banks uses. I reused mine. The compressor was in great shape. Mine was more like preventative before I installed it type of rebuild though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to figure out a garrett to replace that mitsu with if I can ever get one in hand.

kinda backwards to have a turbo you cant get parts easy for.

f250dually

Reaction score
idiabuse: Maybe send me a message with whats included and how much. I would like to have mine rebuilt but cant afford the down time. ( my other truck is broke too:mad:) I'm thinking I could buy yours and rebuild mine down the road...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online