banks turbo rebuild?

badass76ford

badass76fordboy
Reaction score
Hi, new 2 site and just bought my first idi. It came with a older banks turbo system that was previously installed on the truck but was removed for the rebuild of the engine and was never re installed. My question is the turbo seems to have alot of play IMO and was wondering where to get this type of turbo rebuilt or can i just buy a kit and do it myself.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I've seen a post here about a guy who will sell you a kit and balance it for you.

I just did one and had it rebuilt by member typ4 or type4. He's done many on the site here and mines is working great for at least the 500 or so miles I have on it.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I think what it comes down to is if your turbo isn't that bad you may get away with bearings, and be good for a while, but it's sort of like puting new bearings on a race without replacing the race.

The turbo shaft spins in a bushing type bearing, but the bearing also spins in the housing so there is wear on the housing eventually, or in some cases.

What typ4 can do is bore out your housing and use a larger bearing amongst other things, so you have a quality rebuild that should last.

badass76ford

badass76fordboy
Reaction score
Does any one know if the rebuild kits for older mitsubishi turbos and this one are compatible and does any one have a manual for this kit, its the non wastegated system with the big alloy box, any info on this system would be great too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat