banks turbo oil feed line

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I recently bought a used banks sidewinder kit for my 86 f350 but it is missing some parts. The main one being the oil feed line. My question is can i just use pipe fittings on the top of the turbo and a compression fitting to some steel fuel line down to the side of the block to get oil up to the turbo. This was the way my hypermax was set up on my other truck. The reason i ask is cuz i was searching on ebay for oil feed kits for turbos and they say you need a special oil feed block(part that bolts to top of turbo) with a built in oil restrictor to limit the amount of oil pressure up to the turbo to keep the seals in the turbo from blowing out. Is this true? I know i can do it alot cheaper by just using pipe/compression fittings and steel line. Thanks for the help in advance!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Give Banks a call and get the correct parts. Yes, you can build something yourself but why go to all the trouble of that when Banks sells the parts you need. Much easier and the feed line is braided stainless steel so it wont break from vibration. These motors make planty of vibration that breaks things...

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks wants 38 bucks just for the line and another 20 for the oil feed block and 15 for the an to pipe thread adapters. I know i can probly make something for half that price. I am just wondering about the oil restictor situation I talked of earlier.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks stuff is -4AN and 1/4" ID line IIRC. For my non gated kit, I just went to my local hydraulic shop and had some lines made up, I think it cost me about $40 for the fittings and lines I needed.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I cut a piece of aluminum block to match the top of the turbo cartridge, drilled and tapped it to 1/4" npt and used plumbing fittings and had a local hose shop make up a braided line. No problems.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno what the oil pressure is on these engines, but really the only time you need an oil restrictor is either with very high oil pressure, or with a ball bearing turbo.

There was no restrictor on my stock feed block, although it did have a 3/8" or so line that went down to 1/8" NPT where it entered the feed block (which I didn't really understand)

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I think I will go ahead and just make my own parts up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They dont use a restrictor in these setups. I had a line made up for 2 sets and they were 38 bucks for both with fittings, braided stainless and all. Any good hydraulic shop can do it for you. Regular hydraulic hose will work also.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way- -4 AN Aeroquip Teflon line is really good for feed lines, because teflon doesn't swell like rubber sometimes will. And the Teflon line uses steel fittings, and it's really easy to assemble. I used it for the feed line on my Thunderbird.

I have a regular -6 AN line on my truck, but that's mostly because I found a really good deal on it and it reduces down to 1/8" NPT anyway (the turbo doesn't need that much oil)