Banks turbo install

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so ive got my mostly complete banks turbo kit. I just rebuilt the turbo, its all happy and ready to roll. The only couple pieces i am missing are the downpipe, crossover pipe, and CDR vent thing on the front of the engine. As it stands right now, I am planning on having the downpipe and crossover tube made by a local exhaust shop. Im gonna call tomorrow and find out how much $$$.

Besides just getting everything on, what else do I need to do. I keep hearing about poking holes in the valley pan?

Help, ideas, recommendations?

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The valley pan hole needs an ice pick driven thru the internal metal layers so the turbo oil can return faster. Do not drill because that will leave metal shavings in the oil...

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I ended up just purchasing the banks IP cover adaptor, the downpipe and the crossover pipe from Banks. Should be here next week!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well buying those missing parts from Banks simplifiys things a bunch. The fit will be perfect too. No guessing about someone in another shop bending them till they get it correct.:sly

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what i was thinking. The money I paid for the parts from banks is well worth the stress I dont have to put on someone else to make the parts. And it also means I can put everything on the truck at my friends house, with the new DP on and then have an exhaust shop weld new to old. Also since its non-gated I want to header wrap the up pipes and down pipe to make sure I get boost ASAP.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im planning on installing the turbo this weekend. Couple of questions left.

Has anyone found a paper filter than I can use to replace the banks filter. Or does like S&B or someone make a replacement?

How hard is it to make the braided oil line for the turbo feed?

Instead of using an O-ring for the intake, im probably gonna run a lite bead of black RTV, letting it dry and then compressing against that? I am having a hard time finding an o-ring that will fit.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started the install last night and have ran into nothing but problems since then. As it stands the cross over and Y pipe is finally in the truck. But the DP and the turbo have fitment issues. The downpipe i got from banks is seemingly to large and the compressor side of the turbo is hitting the the indention by the wiper motor. im sure i can clearance the wiper area no problem but the DP is really tight. How have people done this? I just figured with a turbo kit from Banks it wouldnt be this much of a pain in the butt.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bent the firewall lip? Throw up some pics of your firewall after you got through with it DD.:D

The compressor side not fitting is a totally different problem, did you slide the y-pipe onto the manifold studs properly? Did you connect the brackets at the top of the engine?? One to the belhousing bolt and the other to the intake manifold bolt.

BTW, do you have this heat shield and does your flange placement look the same as this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flang looks about the same. Dont have the heat shield or the bracket for the top. But the thing doesnt wanna move and its on the exhaust tight. Ill try and snap some pictures tomorrow.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Cool thread. Add some pix to help some of the other people going through the same process.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online