Banks sidewinder turbo shaft play?

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking at purchasing a used Banks Sidewinder kit. It was bought in 2007 installed in 2010 and the truck has been parked since 2012. It is complete no missing parts whatsoever. My issue is with the shaft play and a small puddle of oil sitting in the bottom of the compressor housing. I have attached a video and a picture. My thought on the oil are that it may have seeped out from sitting for such a long time. There seems to be a small score mark/ scratch on the compressor housing by the wheel. It is very small and only in one spot. There is no in and out play only side to side. When putting pressure on the shaft while spinning it does not touch the housing but you can feel drag. If spinning the shaft with no pressure added it spins very freely. I don't see how it could be worn out so quickly seeing that it has seen very little use. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/zqsrpu_xEfw

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not worn out. The oil is normal from the CDR valve. Buy it clean it, run it.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not worn out. The oil is normal from the CDR valve. Buy it clean it, run it.

So you would say that shaft play is quite normal. I figured with such little use it should have NO play whatsoever or a lot less then what it does

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question I have is will this kit work without a problem with my zf-5 it is currently still installed on a c-6. Also if i do get to buying it are there any consumables i should pick up for a more efficient install.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not tight when new. I have no idea on fitment. I only rebuild them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Russ, it looks fine to me as well. Same small movement with the two Banks turbo's I've had on my rigs. The oil (like Russ said) is just from the CDR being routed into the compressor. Normal.

You'll have to cut the ear off your ZF5 for the turbine inlet, but otherwise, the kit should work fine.

Heath

Attachments

• 2518535230063311215xEqmAj_fs.jpg
    2518535230063311215xEqmAj_fs.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 31

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.. Any ideas on consumables? Also how can that small scratch on the housing be explained? Maybe its nothing

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the filter isn't cracked or has any holes. Same with the oil return tube (if it has rubbed on the throttle cables or anything else under the turbo, it'll get a hole and leak oil everywhere). Make sure the grommet for the oil drain to valley pan is good too.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online