MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there any reason this cant be RTV'd?
no pressure, maybe heat? red RTV?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit that's is a good point but not sure about the heat that these Turbos make .

Long ago buddy and I installed an after market turbo in his Honda CRX and the turbo return line was a steel line going back to the oil pan just above where the oil line .. I guess w a turbo that old the exit port being that large it's a challenge

Banks responded to my email and they said that the gasket to the far right is the correct one and the oval one must been home made and its non of their gaskets

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit .. i came across this after OLDBULL8 mentioned the idea of his return line going to the V cover ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-OIL-R...d=100204&rk=4&rkt=27&mehot=pp&sd=321310049533

It would be pretty slick if i can come up with easy place to dump the oil back in the Eng , Drilling the oil pan is out of the Q specially in these 7.3 Idi's

Any ideas .

OLDBULL8 . Is that area under the VC can handle the oil return without any problem ..?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 . Is that area under the VC can handle the oil return without any problem ..?

Yeah, there is large cast holes in the heads and block for oil drain back from oiling the rocker train. Tried to take a pic of mine yesterday, but it's covered by the Banks air intake.

Edit: Found some pics, not very good tho. The tubing is 1/2" copper.

Attachments

• DVC01528.JPG
    DVC01528.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DVC01527.JPG
    DVC01527.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DVC01530.JPG
    DVC01530.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks familiar Thank you for them Pic's;Sweet. What did you end up using at the flange side

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 what size cooper you using , I attempted the cooper route with 5/8 but its harder to work with around the bottom of the cold side of the turbo

i landed this item today and was wondering what you think if i use 1/2" Barbed Brass Fittings straight out of this new adapter going to transmission rubber house then to another Barbed Brass Fittings 90 degree to the VC
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are running electric fuel pump, you can dump it through the block off plate. Nice Teflon lined stainless braid AN hose and never worry about it again.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No electric pump , I was going to let it free fall and gravity return the oil back to the VC like OLDBULl8 posted his truck pic .

Not sure about the cooper size yet as the one i bought yesterday is big and not easy to work with , This is why i am considering the barbed fitting to 3/8 transmission line but not sure if that will cause any restriction or problem . What is the clearance between the VC and the rockers

It would be nice to add a turbo oil scavenge pump :sly but the funds are short

Any thoughts

Here is what i ended up with yesterday 5/8" cooper which is hard to work with and moight downgrade it to 1/2"

flared fitting

Now i have an idea if i can find a fitting like the Banks grommet and use it in place for the VC and fit the 90 degree cooper there ( similar to a PCV on a gaser )

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
above fitting is no go .. TO difficult to work with 5/8" , My pipe bender making the bend longer when i use the 1/2" than the room i have under the cold side of the turbo as you guys know it's pretty darn tight . The local machine shop can do any size hydraulic hose fitted to the flared end connector on my 90 degree in the PIC , so i am going to use the 90 degree fitting coming from the flange to a hydraulic hose as soon as i put my hand on this ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/251889254607?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) to allow the 90 to clear under the turbo housing then Straight shot from there to a 90 degree Gaser PCV fitted into fabricated grommet on top of the VC

for the guys who did this Mod or similar to it routing the drain the line to the VC is it worth it over all

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After running around all over the place and rigging parts i decided in the mean time to give my new gasket a 2nd chance and Ice pick the **** of the VP . I put every thing back together with nice amount of cooper RTV around the drain tube . Let it cure for 24 hours and started the truck yesterday .

I went for a short 3 mile or so drive . SO far one oil droop this morning so i am hoping that is from the old oil accumulated up top that i couldn't really get to .

Today i am going for longer ride and i am hoping the leak is fixed .

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just not understanding the overly complex thinking going on here.

I'm hoping that this repair has solved the issue for you, I really do.

My thoughts where make sure bottom of turbo where flange is would be surgically clean...absolutely spotless of any oil or gasket material. Same for the flange and flex tube.

Use a very light Coat extremely light coat of HI TEMP RTV bolt together and snug allow sit 24 hrs tighten to torque...that should seal it tighter n @$#@!

End of problem...

Just sayin...it's not rocket science..it's just gotta be really friggen clean!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decide to give it a second try , I went for a drive and still getting plenty of oil from what it seems the up top of the motor , I took every thing a part and found the my drain tube was seated correctly and the RTV is holding pretty good but the VP area wet with oil.

I also noticed the back drain of the VP seems hollow where i can stick a wire coat hanger inside of it , Is it suppose to be like that ?? My theory would be if the oil drain from turbo inside the baffle and find way out from the back of the drain it will run all over unless this is the way it should be

The rear drain hole.

I found this plug the 1st time i working in that area , Does it go inside that drain hole ? not sure if it's possible ..!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is to drain any water/oil off the top of the valley pan and down the backside of the block. The theory is (I think) to keep water from entering the engine through the CDR/turbo drain hole in the valley pan. It should be clear of debris and allow draining down the back of the block on the passenger side. If you're seeing oil leak out there, you likely have something leaking in the valley pan area and out of that drain.

To directly answer your question- the plug does NOT go in that drain where you're sticking the coat hanger. The plug looks like it could have come out of the turbo hat during a boost gauge installation. Do you have a boost gauge on your truck?