Bad Injectors?

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1994 Turbo IDI
The guy says its running rough and he thinks its injectors. He said it misses on a few cylinders but when he sprays diesel into the turbo it starts firing like it should. Is that an actual way of telling if its the injectors or could it just be anything in the injection system?

The whole spraying into turbo thing confuses me. SOMEONE HELP

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a new one on me about spraying fuel into the turbo to make it run smooth. That can cause a bad run away too because the fuel is not metered in. There is no governor to control the fuel going to the engine like it does going thru the injection pump. How many miles are on the injectors and the injection pump. Usually we see they last about 125,000 miles more or less. Some even get more but a few get less. Do not try to replace the injection pump by removing the injection pump gear housing, pump and gear as one piece. There is plenty of utube videos telling you to do it that way but don't its the wrong way to do it and you will loose the gear timing.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
163k. And how would you change the pump out completely and keep timing? i know if youre taking it out and putting the same pump back in you can just mark it. but how would you do it if youre swapping pumps?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a chance of keeping the same timing when you change pumps. they are all timed differently internally so don't worry bout the timing when a pump is changed. you will need to time the new pump after its installed. Thats just the nature of the beast. What I posted about the pump, housing and gear coming off all at the same time was you can't really time the gear to the cam gear because you can't see it. So please don't remove the gear housing by the 4 bolts seen on the ends of the gear housing. A timing meter is needed to properly time these engines. Anybody that tells you they can time it by ear is taking your money .. Its not possible. Some can get close but do you want close or exact. Most here will pay for exact and be happy doing it. With 163,000 miles on your pump its way past worn out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks. It's actually not my truck I was thinking about buying it. He sold it anyway.