Bad fuel leak, need help!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It may be time for a rebuilt pump. If the hard line feed from the filter head is the part that leaks then its an easy fix. If its the drivers side injection pump plunger then its time to call Mel at conestoga Diesel Injection service. How many miles are on the pump.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its coming from the bottom of the pump it may be from the weep hole. This hole is there to allow fuel to escape if the seals on the pump drive shaft start leaking. Get one of those little inspection mirrors and a flashlight and look on the very bottom toward the drive end of the pump.

steelheader87

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all your advice. It appears to either be one of the hard line on the bottom of the pump or the weep hole. I can't seem to see it actually leaking. My guess is the weep hole on the pump. It appears to be the original pump with close to 200,000 miles. Is it safe to drive with it leaking from that spot?

steelheader87

Reaction score
It is either leaking on one of the hard lines on the bottom of the pump, or out of the weep hole on the pump. I can't seem to exactly locate it. I am guessing out the weep hole, it is the original pump with close to 200,000 miles. With it leaking there, is it safe to drive? Anybody know of any good shops in Oregon to replace the pump? I don't think I want to tackle that one. Oregon Fuel Injection quoted me $325 to replace the pump. Does that sound about right? Thanks again.

steelheader87

Reaction score
It is still getting air into the system, if it was leaking out of weep hole on the pump, would that allow air in? Sorry if there are obvious answers to these questions, no experience with the IP. If not, then I would guess that it is what you have mentioned regarding the olives. I have also read about an o ring on the pump that would cause this type of leak, any ideas? Thanks.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is still getting air into the system, if it was leaking out of weep hole on the pump, would that allow air in? Sorry if there are obvious answers to these questions, no experience with the IP. If not, then I would guess that it is what you have mentioned regarding the olives. I have also read about an o ring on the pump that would cause this type of leak, any ideas? Thanks.

If the drive shaft seals thus weep hole is where it leaking from, then yes that can cause air to enter your system. What happens is that when the engine isn't running, fuel drips out and is replaced by air.

There are other places for the pump to leak, bear in mind the IP is pressured internally so a pump leak will generally reveal itself. An olive leak (low pressure before the IP} won't always be so quick to show you the leak. So you might or might now have fuel showing if its a olive leaking air.

It is ok to drive it in an emergency, but I wouldn't drive it much as it can saturate your clutch and cause it to slip and enough heat in the right place can cause raw diesel to burn.

$325 labor seems a little pricey to me. An experienced tech should be able to do that job in 2 hours, 3 hours max, to me that is a lot for shop rate per hour. But its Oregon not Texas so what do I know about labor there.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats robbery for a job like that. Contact Russ whos signon here is typ4. I'm sure he will do the job for you and knowing his resources it will be done correctly. He does great work thats trusted here and many other places. Only problem with Russ doing any work for you is you will be back having him do more for you. I have never heard of any unhappy members after they bought or had him do something for them. He even has a timing meter so you know it will be timed correctly. Most shops these days time by ear. that means you pay them to listen to the engine.. Well hell. Call me and I'll time your engine just by listening to it over the phone. then send me about $100.00 cause thats all the "shops" are doing...

steelheader87

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I will try and contact Russ. How do you send a private message? Thanks.

steelheader87

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I will try and contact Russ. How do you send a private message? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online