Bad fipl symptoms?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after towing a big tractor yesterday over shutter board dirt roads I’m now having a torque converter issue. What it’s doing is locking/unlocking at certain throttle inputs. At around 1/4 throttle it’ll act weird. Either side of that it’s ok. I noticed also now if it kicks down into third it’ll hang instead of going straight back into od. New trans, black sensor. Thinking maybe the rough road jarred my crummy sensor as it shifts great and smooth just the tc lock/unlocking

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the first time I’ve heard someone say they love the E40D lol.

People love the 4r100 which is damn near identical. But having a .71 overdrive and lockup torque converter it’s a great transmission. Towing heavy with an aftermarket cooler rarely will it go above 180. You have to realize they live quite well behind lightly modified power strokes and I believe they were rated higher capacity than the zf5

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An e4od will live at any HP level with modifications too, and shift faster!:Thumbs Up
Lol no it won’t, they are pretty much completely billet to handle 1000hp and get ready to spend 10k in parts alone...
An input shaft for a zf5 is $300

Any more power than that and most people go to a different trans.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol no it won’t, they are pretty much completely billet to handle 1000hp and get ready to spend 10k in parts alone...

Yeah, the case will start to flex. Lol
Where are you seeing aftermarket upgraded input shafts?
The nv's behind the Cummins have a huge aftermarket following.
I'm not sure what you meant in your first line. But there's a couple company's that are building auto trans closer to the $7k range that are lifetime warranted to whatever hp you want.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the case will start to flex. Lol
Where are you seeing aftermarket upgraded input shafts?
The nv's behind the Cummins have a huge aftermarket following.
I'm not sure what you meant in your first line. But there's a couple company's that are building auto trans closer to the $7k range that are lifetime warranted to whatever hp you want.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Highest I could find for an e40d is the ATS stage 6 which people say holds 1000 but it won’t live at that level, the tranny is 7,800 but then you have pan
coolers torque converter etc.
KT performance still makes billet zf5 input shafts last I checked

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An E40D will never be a bulletproof transmission unless it is rebuilt & heavily modified (about 5-8k) to handle the astronomical horsepower and torque power that these idi engines make LOL. Pretty sad when one blows up because it can’t handle the 185hp that’s in front of it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

10k in parts? Must be a typo. :D You do need some billet parts in a high HP build. Some frozen parts too. The rest is knowing what you are doing.

A ZF will need much more than a input shaft to hold high HP levels. If you want it to last. Just like the E4, it will require internal work.:peelout

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Highest I could find for an e40d is the ATS stage 6 which people say holds 1000 but it won’t live at that level, the tranny is 7,800 but then you have pan
coolers torque converter etc.
KT performance still makes billet zf5 input shafts last I checked

ATS = Another Transmission Shot. They build junk, that's been known for years.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online