Bad experience with Banks

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not being a crybaby but thought I would share my first (and only) experience with the Banks Company in California. My E4OD shifts mushy and in my research learned about the Banks Transcommand. Called them and talked to Jeff Barker in Sales. He explained how the unit works, shared his personal experience with it, and recommended it for my mushy shift problem.

It came in the mail a week or so later. In the meantime I had done some more research and suspected maybe this unit wouldn't have any effect on my line pressures if the trans was in limp-mode (a condition it goes into regularly), and started to think maybe I should put the 275 bucks toward a rebuild. I called Jeff and explained my situation and asked if I were to install it, try it, and if not satisfied, would he take it back and give me a refund. He said YES, as long as it was returned within 30 days.

I tried it and it improved shifts. The OD light did not start flashing. It worked fine for a week and 200 miles. Then I connected my 4000 lb Airstream trailer on my F-350 7.3 Diesel IDI and on my 3rd accelleration to 55 mph the trans light started flashing and the trans went into limp-mode (default high line pressure). As
I suspected, the Transcommand had no effect in this condition.

Since I want to rebuild the trans, I called Jeff back (3 weeks after receiving unit) and got his voice mail. I asked for a return goods authorization so I could get a refund. 6 hours later I called again, and told him the situation. He said he had not checked his voice mail. I explained the situation, referred to our two previous phone calls, and asked how to proceed with a refund. He transferred me to Technical department and I spoke to Eric. I explained the situation again and he put me on hold for 6 minutes. He returned and said they could not refund my money if the unit had been installed. I said that is not what Jeff told me. He put me on hold again for 3 minutes and then the line transferred back into Jeff's voice mail. I hung up and called back and got his voice mail again. Then I called back and asked for Jeff's supervisor who is Richard Sweeney. I got his voice mail when transferred. I explained the situation AGAIN and kindly asked him for a return call so we can talk this through. Well, this is the third day and he has not yet returned my call.

Bottom line: I'm going to eat this because I'm tired of messing with them. But I thought I would share my experience and counsel whatever caution any readers my deem appropriate when dealing with Banks. Sincerely, Andy.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
So you installed the unit and it worked as perscribed but because you had other issues you feel that you should be able to return the unit?

The product did not fail - the product worked just like it should... I fully understand where you're at but I agree with Banks - now had the unit failed to work then I could see that you would be due a refund. But sadly in this case you are not due a refund or exchange. The fact of it being installed then getting your return/refund denied is pretty standard operating procedure for any electronic device so it does not surprise me that they said they would not return it for those reasons.

A try before you buy/commit program is pretty much unheard of in any performance part game. Yes bully dog is doing that but in that case it's only a software product no hard parts are exchanged in that transaction.

No the first gentleman shouldn't have said they would exchange it but come on you surely can understand upper managements decision in this one.

You can always sell the unit on Ebay or put a listing for it here in the for sale section so that you can recoup some of your monies.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I have a banks system on my truck, despite talking to that guy jeff. When I was looking into my turbo, Jeff gave me alot of BS about the Banks system being FAR superior to anything else out there. He also made some numerical claims that were flat out ridiculous. I didn't know what he was spewwing was crap until I started learning things here. Very unprofessional personnel, but I love my turbo.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
it sounds to me like 'ole Jeff needs a swift :kick:.... for the comments agreements that he made!

other than that I've got to go w/ Argve on the refund issue! 30 days less the product HAD been installed or HAD failed I could see!

hell I'm sure there is someone who's gunna read this and needs/wants the parts! and may offer what you've got in it!?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing, you need to find out why your trans is going into limp mode. (Overly) soft shifts would seem to indicate a low voltage reading from the FIPL sensor.

I borrowed this procedure from STD:
"To set to specs:
With a warm engine and the idle speed set to your engine specs probably 650 in drive (curb idle).

Now with key on engine off. First connect the negative lead of a volt meter to the negative battery post, then place a paperclip straightened to slide up the side of the center wire for a good contact, touch the positive lead to the paperclip. Electrical connector must beconnected to the fipl.

If your fipl requires resetting loosen the small torx screws and attempt to attain the correct setting. You can loosen the large bolts on the bracket if necessary but try to retain the centering on the fipl/blade.

Your trying to get closed throttle voltage: 1.1 V, wide open throttle voltage: minimum of 3.8 V but not more than 4.3 V.

If you can attain those #s then tighten the screws/bolts and ensure the voltage is at the correct setting after tightening. You can also do a slow sweep of the fuel lever from idle to WOT to see if there are any blanc (dead) spots, much easier with a really $$$ meter with capture mode. If you still find there are hard shifts or very soft slippery shifts you can adjust to suit your driving but be warned slippery shifts will burn the trans up."

Second, for 275 bucks that Trans-Command should be making your coffee in the morning. Maybe it's worth it, maybe not. I use a manually adjustable unit (Pressure Riser) that does the same thing, increase line pressure. The Trans-Command description seems to indicate that it is "self adjusting" to different driving situations.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had nothing but good come from Banks. When my dad put their exhaust brake on his 99' PSD it worked good for a while but then the pump would not shut off when the brake was activated. So we called banks and told them the problem they started sending us parts free of charge to replace and see if it fixed it. So far tey have sent a new pressure switch, vacum canister and control module. All of this happen after the warranty was up but they have been awsome to work with so far.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have to agree. The Trans Command is not a "band aid" for a malfunctioning E4OD

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Yes, I think we need to figure out why you're going into limp mode. Get a cheapo computer reader from walmart and see what codes you're getting. If you have a wiring problem then even if you rebuild your trasnsmission you're going to have the exact same problems and you'll have wasted even more money.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Argve on this one.

My suggestion would be to fix your transmission and keep the Banks. I've had one on my truck for a few years and it is fantastic. It is a shame your transmission has deeper issues... but you can't go wrong with a rebuild AND keeping the TransCommand installed.

Mike

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

Yes, I know it is unusual for a company to accept electronic stuff after being installed. That is why I made the specific call to find out if they would. My gripe was that they changed their policy, and worse yet, that they communicated their change by ignoring my calls. No big deal - I'm a big boy and have much bigger things in my life than a chunk of metal and a few bucks...

I checked the trans codes early on and found code 62 - general transmission slippage. Often points to the TCC... Told that to the Banks guy and he said this would increase plate apply pressure and improve situation, which I guess it did as the code would not set until I put it under the load of trailer towing...

Thanks for the info on adjusting the FIPL. Thanks to this forum, I had done that procedure quite some time ago and determined it not to be the problem.

It's not a total loss; the unit did confirm my suspicion that the trans is going south - under the higher line pressure I can really notice the converter chatter now. I'm going to do it right - Get a HD rebuild, nice TCC, AND I've got a Banks Transcommand to toss in just 'cause I got it! Thanks all for the responses and I don't hate Banks at all - just a little glitchlett along the road...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I agree that Banks customer service is bad. :backoff I've had the same trouble getting a hold of someone in Tech support, sales??? sure they would be right there, but service after the sale :rotflmao

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that it is poor customer service on their part telling you you could return it and then changing their mind but I think overall the company is good and if you wanted to press the issue they would probably take it back.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought the turbo from Banks, I was quoted a price for shipping. When it got into Anchorage, the only way for me to pick it up was by paying the shipping from Seattle to anchorage (cod). It took several heated phone calls to get a refund, and really did leave a bad taste. I also had trouble getting calls back.

The turbo itself is great.

akoldnav

IDIeselman

Reaction score
If you ever do deal with banks again ask for Thomas Boardman, ext # 4126. I have ordered 3 complete systems from this man and when there was a problem with anything He was very helpful, now when I call, they recognize my number and automaticly direct me to him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online