Back in Vegas

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after a long month and several days, my truck is finally home.

Everyone that said replacing head gaskets in the truck was a ******, was right!

The whole job went fairly well until we went to turn the engine over by hand, it moved a little bit and then stopped.:eek:
After some head scratchin and cussin, we discovered that the new pushrod set that I bought off of ebay, were too long!-cuss They will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow!

So now I have new gaskets, ARP studs, valve job, new lifters, new oil cooler and 7.3 rockers.

I was a little nervous hopping in the truck and driving 300+ miles home last night but all the worry was for nothing, the truck runs absolutely beautiful.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Gary (icanfixall) for personally delivering the lifters to my cousins house.;Sweet

Also wanted to say thanks to David (Dyoung14) for the 7.3 rockers.;Sweet

I have owned 40+ vehicles in my life but never have I missed anything as much as I have missed not having my truck! You get attached to them like your own kids.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well after a long month and several days, my truck is finally home.

Everyone that said replacing head gaskets in the truck was a ******, was right!

The whole job went fairly well until we went to turn the engine over by hand, it moved a little bit and then stopped.:eek:
After some head scratchin and cussin, we discovered that the new pushrod set that I bought off of ebay, were too long!-cuss They will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow!

So now I have new gaskets, ARP studs, valve job, new lifters, new oil cooler and 7.3 rockers.

I was a little nervous hopping in the truck and driving 300+ miles home last night but all the worry was for nothing, the truck runs absolutely beautiful.

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Gary (icanfixall) for personally delivering the lifters to my cousins house.;Sweet

Also wanted to say thanks to David (Dyoung14) for the 7.3 rockers.;Sweet

I have owned 40+ vehicles in my life but never have I missed anything as much as I have missed not having my truck! You get attached to them like your own kids.

Your welcome buddy! im glad you got it fixed and working great;Sweet, If you ever need any other part then just ask, i will make you good deals,

Now time to start my engine swap

allgonoshow

Reaction score
Good to hear you got it running! If you were to do it over again would you have just pulled the engine? I am going to be tearing into this when I get my other pile out of the shop. Any advice that would make my job easier when I get to it would be appreciated. Thanks!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it running! If you were to do it over again would you have just pulled the engine? I am going to be tearing into this when I get my other pile out of the shop. Any advice that would make my job easier when I get to it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I dont think it warrants pulling the motor but thats just my opinion.

The tough part of the whole job, is having to stand on a short stool and lean over the truck all day, the front of my legs were killing me after the second day.

You definately need some kind of mechanical device to lift the heads in and out!

Having a turbo makes the job a little tougher but my old banks unit stands high enough that I didnt have to remove it to get the intake manifold or valley pan off.

Definately do the oil cooler while you have the heads off, my O rings were brittle and fell apart instantly.

I would also suggest upgrading to 7.3 rockers if you have a 6.9, they look to be a much better type of unit.

If you have any other questions, send me a PM while the job is still fresh in my head.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The 7.3 rockers is a great upgrade, thats why there already in my next engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger