Back In The IDI Game!!!

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've been idle on here for a couple years since I sold my last 6.9 truck. But, due to an unfortunate breakdown in my C3500 gasser I had to find a quick replacement. Quick craigslist search turned up a couple leads on good looking trucks for decent money. Took a two hour trip up to Freeland in the middle of the night (I know, it goes against one of my cardinal rules of truck shopping) looked the old girl over for a couple hours and happily drove my new ride home. Got a HELLUVA deal on it and it drives like a champ. Averaged 21 mpg on the way home. I'm loving it and spending hours on end back in here to gain more knowledge. I had never heard of the coolant needing SCA's or the block heaters in the A blocks cracking them. Getting my info built up here so I can go at fixing it up this Spring. I'll give you guys all the details.

1986 Ford F-250
6.9L International
C6 Automatic
140,000 miles on original motor and tranny.
2WD
Extended Cab
Long Box
A/C
Power windows
Power locks
BOTH TANKS WORK!!!

PO did fuel return lines, alternator, GP controller, GP's (supposedly) and injectors (supposedly).

Let me know what you guys think.

You must be registered for see images attach

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Here's the truck that started my love of the 6.9.

"Tweety"
1986 Ford F-350, 6.9L, 4 sp., 2WD.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Still have to do some work on the new one. Replaced the radius arm bushing on the DS and swapped out the two tiny 650 CCA batteries for two 850 CCA's I had laying around. I still need to fix the leaf spring shackle on the DS rear and the leaf spring. PO said he hit a pothole and wrecked those pieces. :rotflmao Must have been a HELLUVA pot hole.

Also, my fuel gauges read empty when the tank is only half empty and when I try to cycle the glow plugs twice the light doesn't come on for more than a second. Kinda a hard starter if it's 20 degrees and hasn't been plugged in. If I manually jump the posts on the GP solenoid for 5 or 6 more seconds it fires off just fine.

Here's some pics of the tore up shackle and leaf spring.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Thanks, little bit of cancer at the bottom of the doors, cab corners and above the rear wheels. Come summer I'll try and scrounge up some rust repair panels for it.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
It's not bad but I defintiely prefer my T-19. This is the only vehicle I own with an automatic. It is nice after a long day at work to just put it in D and tell the **** to, "Take me home!" ;Sweet

Last edited:

vikurt2002

Reaction score
Nice looking truck! I bought body repair panels from JC Whitney that worked pretty good... I think they were 35.00 per side for the rear fender wells

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....Averaged 21 mpg on the way home. ....
Let me know what you guys think.

I think you had a tail wind! LOL

That's fantastic milage for a C6. DON'T TOUCH IT. LOL

Never seen anybody ignore a suspension problem as bad as that. That PO was a piece of work. Maybe like the PO of the Scarlet Moose who decided he was going to ignore those rusted up parking brake cables and just push the pedal until he busted the firewall through and ripped the underside of the dash out. :rolleyes:

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I think you had a tail wind!

I know, right! I've ran four tanks through it so far and the worst I managed was the secoind one at 17.5 mpg. I learned a long time ago, 50 - 55 is the key. The tank I just filled this morning netted me 19.6. Out of a 23 y/o truck without an OD! So far the tanks have gone 21.0, 17.5, 19.3 and 19.6. So I guess to be fair I should report it at 19! :rotflmao

PO was definitely a good natured guy but NOT mechanically inclined.

vikurt- How did you like those panels? I was looking at them yesterday. I'm not much of a welder but I could take them to a buddy's house with a case of barley pops and do it in a weekend or so.

vikurt2002

Reaction score
I had good luck with them. I'll try to dig up the before and after pics. I'm no body man but these were a pretty close fit so it wasn't too hard. I did both sides by myself in a weekend with a cut-off wheel and a 110v wire feed welder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger