Axle seals on a Sterling 10.25"

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
So I cant get the hub to come off?? I got the axle nut and outer bearing out, but the thing just wont pull off of the spindle? Whats going on?

PULL HARDER. It most likley has scotseal or the F-d up Ford designed seal still in there.

You can also take a prybar between the brake shoes and the hub and pry it off

Electromag

Reaction score
Its gotta be the seal, or your inner bearing is welded to the spindle. If its the seal, then there should be a little wiggle. If I remember right I think it was in my shop manual that they showed a wheel puller in use to pull the hub. Yesterday, it took some arm strong pulling to get one side off and it turned out to be the seal hanging on the spindle.

Last edited:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it off, the seal was just stuck. Looked like it was the original Ford seal, sucker lasted quite a while. Just had to pull the crap out of it to get it off. I put some blue locktight where the seal meets the spindle, and where the seal meets the hub. Hopefully it will be all sealed up and I can get it back on the road again. Thanks for the help guys

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried to rent a puller but none were big enough to fit over the hub. so i just kept beating on it on the back and rotate it then beat it some more

Electromag

Reaction score
your kidding right???

I put some blue locktight where the seal meets the spindle, and where the seal meets the hub. Hopefully it will be all sealed up and I can get it back on the road again. Thanks for the help guys
The seal needs to slide on the spindle, thats why you should oil it there (Between the spindle and the seal) I think locktight would have the opposite effect as it is a glue.. But your just kidding right???

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal needs to slide on the spindle, thats why you should oil it there (Between the spindle and the seal) I think locktight would have the opposite effect as it is a glue.. But your just kidding right???

Typically yes, but I have one of the scotseal ones, so it spins within itself. Got the idea from diesel_brad in the link he posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online