Automatic to ZF and vice versa swap

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Hope this makes sense to someone and that they can coroborate my line of thinking or elaborate on any problems with it.

First, I have an 85 4x2 F250 supercab that has been converted to a 7.3 IDI with a ZF. The ZF is out of an earlier model F450 and has the big brake drum assembly hanging of the back of it.This is a very strong 7.3 and ZF. I am told that this is the same transmission used on the 4x4 only there is a transfer case hanging off the end instead of the huge emergency brake drum assembly. This truck has a rough body and interior and again it is only a 4x2.

Second, I have a completely stock 1986 F250 4x4 super cab with a leaky C6 automatic and a tired 6.9. This truck is a more desirable XLT Lariat great body, interior etc.
I want to swap out the drivetrains less the transfer case. Will the ZF accept the transfer case and the 4X4 automatic accept the emergency brake drum assembly.
I want both trucks to be operable when I'm finished without major outlay for more parts or extensive modifications.

Third, I have an ATS wastegated turbo and complete 3 inch exhaust from a 1987 6.9 crewcab dually 4X4. I think the difference in wheelbase should be about right to ommit the muffler and run just the pipe. Yes I know... alot of work, but will it work?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Hope this makes sense to someone and that they can coroborate my line of thinking or elaborate on any problems with it.

First, I have an 85 4x2 F250 supercab that has been converted to a 7.3 IDI with a ZF. The ZF is out of an earlier model F450 and has the big brake drum assembly hanging of the back of it.This is a very strong 7.3 and ZF. I am told that this is the same transmission used on the 4x4 only there is a transfer case hanging off the end instead of the huge emergency brake drum assembly. This truck has a rough body and interior and again it is only a 4x2.

Second, I have a completely stock 1986 F250 4x4 super cab with a leaky C6 automatic and a tired 6.9. This truck is a more desirable XLT Lariat great body, interior etc.
I want to swap out the drivetrains less the transfer case. Will the ZF accept the transfer case and the 4X4 automatic accept the emergency brake drum assembly.
I want both trucks to be operable when I'm finished without major outlay for more parts or extensive modifications.

Third, I have an ATS wastegated turbo and complete 3 inch exhaust from a 1987 6.9 crewcab dually 4X4. I think the difference in wheelbase should be about right to ommit the muffler and run just the pipe. Yes I know... alot of work, but will it work?
with enough sweat all you will be into is a few gaskets, some fluids, and alot of swearing.;Sweet
all you are describing will interchange and the same disaster I have in my front yard right now.