automatic tdi fuel mileage?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into a vw 99- up trying to find out what the observeded fuel mileage is for these? Would rather have a stick, but the wife factor is making me look for an auto. Thanks

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
cant help with the auto but we just bought an 05 diesel stick only got 41 mpg but thats w winter blend and 5* weather probably the only help you'll get here

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
The TDi cars are great. Sticks are better by as much as 15% but the auto is still ok. The car should get you about 950 to 1150 km per tank. If it is running poorly it is likely due to a coked EGR valve - these can be cleaned easily enough. Also, air intakes sometimes plug and MAF sensors go bad if not taken care of.

DieselBurps

Reaction score
I had an automatic 2000 Golf TDI - my mileage varied greatly - depending on what speeds I maintained. Going easy on the pedal and averaging 60 mph on a long trip, I could pull 48 mpg. Same trip, same distance I could get down around 38 mpg by doing 80 mph. It's all good. The big difference is in acceleration. The automatic is going to be slow. Something else to consider - from what I could find on that auto tranny, it's disposable. It's weak, not very serviceable and when it gets used up - you throw it away. After having one, I'd highly recommend getting the stick shift!

Dzlman95

Dzlman95
Reaction score
TDI Mileage

I've got an '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-sp stick. I've gotten as high at 53 on trips to the beach, and a low of 41 when I run the dog crap out of it (80+). On average, cruise on at 72, commuting 120 miles a day round trip, I get about 46 combined. One of my coworkers has a Jetta sedan with Auto, he only gets about 33 or 34... He told me the best he's ever gotten was 37.

SeaTowJoe

Reaction score
We had a '00 sedan that regularly saw 50 on the hwy, but would recommend getting the stick. It is a much better tranny, and mileage is about 4 mpg better across the board.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online