Auto locking hubs to Manual locking hubs question(PICs)

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I have/had auto locking hubs with the 5 cap cover. I took them out and put in place the locking warn 11690 hubs.

From what I understand I need no conversion kit what so ever, but I had to take out a lock ring and a washer that sat behind the auto hubs to get the manuals to fit right.

I have no idea if that is right or if it is safe. It did not mention it in the literature nor did I find anything about it on a google search.
I am just concerned because I thought these should have be drop in and play, so I am uneasy about having to remove the washer and snap ring.

The manuals work great, I put the snap ring included with the warn hubs on the outer notch with the new hubs. Is that necessary?

The pictures below are of what I had to remove to get the hubs to fit.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 9

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Someone was in the axle before you. You already have the manual hub wheel bearing nuts(a nut, then a washer , then another nut). The auto uses a SINGLE NUT.

As for removing the snap ring and washer, that is fine. BUT you need to put the snap ring back in after you put the hub guts in(there is a grove about 1/4" from the end). That will hold the axle from sliding out. then the cap goes over top of the snap ring

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
X2. Otherwise, it can/will unlock without the snap ring when you turn. It can pull the axle out of the hub.

SWS

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Someone was in the axle before you. You already have the manual hub wheel bearing nuts(a nut, then a washer , then another nut). The auto uses a SINGLE NUT.

As for removing the snap ring and washer, that is fine. BUT you need to put the snap ring back in after you put the hub guts in(there is a grove about 1/4" from the end). That will hold the axle from sliding out. then the cap goes over top of the snap ring

Thanks for the reply!
:thumbsup:
The grove that I put the snap ring in was the grove on the outer part of the spindle... is that the right location or does it also need the original snap ring back in the inner groove?

This is where I put the snap ring once every thing was put back together. Its hard to see the grove but it is there. So what I am asking is; is it necessary to have two snap rings?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMAG0159 (1).jpg
    IMAG0159 (1).jpg
    636 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
:thumbsup:
The grove that I put the snap ring in was the grove on the outer part of the spindle... is that the right location or does it also need the original snap ring back in the inner groove?

This is where I put the snap ring once every thing was put back together. Its hard to see the grove but it is there. So what I am asking is; is it necessary to have two snap rings?

Thanks again

You did it right. Just need the snap ring on the outer groove

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
You did it right. Just need the snap ring on the outer groove

Haha alright! :thumbsup: Thanks again for your help.

I kinda like having to get out and lock the hubs now, I know when they are engaged and I know when they are disengauged. With the autos i would back up quite a bit then take off down the road and listen for the moaning if it were still engaged, sometimes it took a few tries to get them to disengage.-cuss

The truck drives differently. It would pull to the left ever so slightly before the swap. Not anymore! That auto hub lock must have been pretty worn out.

octopus

Reaction score
i recently did this same conversion on a 93 f350. there was no groove for an outer snap ring. do some trucks not have them?