ATS Turbo kit questions

ZachStack

Reaction score
So today when i was driving my 1993 f350 my wife noticed that it was black smoking alot as i was driving...which it normally does not do...i noticed it was not building any boost. so i took her back home and pulled the intake off and the compressor wheel would not spin. i took a screwdriver and got the wheel to start spinning and itll spin freely right now...i havent fired it back up because i dont want to screw anything up...but i cant find a rebuild kit for this exact turbo on my truck...any one know where i can find one at?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would PM typ4 he will rebuild it better than new an he has special wheels 60-1 an it will make more boost an quicker boost. I am no turbo Master BUT I would not ever start that truck with that turbo again sounds to have a bent shaft or play either way that should have never happened. My friends dads duramax did somthing like that an it's now blowen up in his driveway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above member typ4 is the one to go to for a proper rebuild on this side of the country. Or conestoga Diesel in Pa. Mel owns that shop and is a great guy plus a founding member of this forum. Call either one . they will treat you right. Use an ebay seller and you takes your chances. Many are listed in the Hall of shame. Read it and save your money.

ZachStack

Reaction score
"The above member typ4 is the one to go to for a proper rebuild on this side of the country. Or conestoga Diesel in Pa. Mel owns that shop and is a great guy plus a founding member of this forum. Call either one . they will treat you right. Use an ebay seller and you takes your chances. Many are listed in the Hall of shame. Read it and save your money"

is anyone friends with him? i cant find him.

anyone got any advise on how to get the turbo off? we tried taking it off before we took the motor out of my truck but couldnt get the bolts undone.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Those are Garrett T3/T4 hybrid turbos. Like mentioned above write typ4 a PM and ask him about a rebuild. The wastegated turbo can be removed without lifting the cab. Best investment I ever made for working on turbocharged vehicles is a set of stubby gear wrenches. The ones that you have to flip over to change directions, otherwise the closed end will be too thick to fit around the nut.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will take you to Russ' profile.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/member.php?2559-typ4

I don't advocate rebuilding turbos yourself. Yes, I know... you wouldn't expect someone who does this for a living to do that, but in all honesty, MOST people who try, only end up causing themselves a lot of grief. I get turbo's coming in all the time from people who tried, failed and now need a new turbo.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will take you to Russ' profile.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/member.php?2559-typ4

I don't advocate rebuilding turbos yourself. Yes, I know... you wouldn't expect someone who does this for a living to do that, but in all honesty, MOST people who try, only end up causing themselves a lot of grief. I get turbo's coming in all the time from people who tried, failed and now need a new turbo.

mel, Ive got 2 in hand right now from folks that did just that, some things just need the knowhow to be right.