ats outlett housing and downpipe??

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I bought the ats outlet housing and thier downpipe. Well After it took them 8 (business) days to ship then another 5 days to recieve it the downpipe does not fit in the housing. I tapered the end and nothing. So I put a mic on it and the id of the housing is smaller then the od of the pipe. My question is has anybody else had this problem and is there a quick fix so I will not have to deal with them again..

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hmm, are you sure you're trying to stick the right end into the housing? Otherwise grind out the housing so that the down pipe will fit into it. We've found out that even the factory up pipe needs grinding on to get it to fit back into the housing.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 3" pipe. both ends are the same. I got some other 3" exhaust pipe laying around and I can't get it to fit in the housing either. When I measure the housing with the mic. the housing is actually about .0037 smaller than the od of the pipe. I thought maybe I had a exhaust pipe a little oversized but I can't get any 3" pipe in the housing. I will have a buddy take it to the machine with him I guess and try to open the housing a little. Just irritates me.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I bought one of their 3" downpipes ( after waiting an insane amount of time to receive the thing ), I had to cussed'em ize it a bit to fit. Had to grind it down and chamfer the end pretty good to get that sucker to start in, then the beating banging and creative language session took over -cuss
I had that thing in and out about 4 times, measuring the ridge of how far it was going in till I had enough ground off the thing to get it poked in enough to secure it where it held and sealed.
Granted, I have an older 088 style turbo housing, but supposedly, they are the same size and I had cleaned the holes all up to shiny metal with no pits with the thing off the truck before attempting the install.

-------Robert

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the pipe in a deep freeze overnight. Take the frozen pipe and try to stick it into the housing it may help a tad.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about freezing it but wasn't sure if I would gain enough still. I havn't installed it yet, so my buddy works at the machine shop and he is going to take a few thousanths off of the inside of the housing for me if he can. I know I need a tight fit to to keep it from leaking but this is crazy. And I hear you on the calling ats and throwing a fit. You think a company would be more on time with delivery. I had to call them 4 times to get them to ship it and then they didn't know what the shipping would cost so they would e-mail me with the bill and GUESS what I had to call again to get the shipping charge so they would ship it. I will never do business with them again, I do know that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I tried the pipe freezing bit on mine. Didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

The way those folks do business, sure makes me wonder if they want to stay in business.
I ordered my downpipe from a place in MS, and they had it drop shipped from ATS, weeks went by, I had to keep calling them, each time whoever answered the phone had someone at the place I had ordered it from to blame, but they had already proven to my satisfaction that they had cleared the order with ats and paid ats for it the same day I ordered it from them, so basically the folks at ats like to play games. It took forever for the thing to find it's way out their door.
All that for one lousy overpriced chunk of pipe that didn't even fit cookoo

rumdumb

Reaction score
Ouch thanks for posting this they just lost another customer I was about to purchase the housing and down pipe . Now I will drop back and punt.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
find a hydraulic shop with a hose crimper , crimp the OD down to what ever you need , I do it all the time ( I work in a hydraulic shop) be careful a little goes along way

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call on swaging it down with a large adjustable hose crimper. Call around and see if you can find somebody who crimps hydraulic or (more likely) industrial hoses and they should be able to take care of you.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of that. That would be alot easier than taking the housing to the machine shop. Not really sure of anybody that can do that around here so I will have to do some phone calls. Would that be something a exhaust shop could do? Thanks for all the replies, I just got my truck painted and back together and got all kinds of stuff to install but trying to get them to fit right is another story right now. Thanks again.