ATS Aurora 2000

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My injector supplier said the IDI aurora looks exactly like the 093 with a purple comp housing, he serviced a truck with one on it, said it drove like an 093 so I am guessing there is a lot of hype involved.

btw he said 1100 for the complete used 093 kit, 5 hours on a rebuilt turbo.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Aurora turbos are just an 093 turbo with a better compressor wheel? Maybe they started putting a T04E compressor wheel on it. Wouldn't surprise me. I did notice that the compressor housing was a bit different looking.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the replys comming I'm Still looking around. And russ thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.
I'm looking into the hypermax stuff, Mel don't you have the hypermax pluse system on your truck? If so how do you like it? I use my truck for towing and I'd like it to be a little faster off the get go, and have more power for those long hills around here. And another quick question will the hypermax exhaust work on a truck w/o a turbo? I know that there will be a little modification involved but will it work from the y pipe back? Until I get a turbo kit.

Last edited:

tknomaj

Reaction score
the aurora is suppose to have bearing in center section not bushings and inlet is designed to make intake of larger volume and no turbo pulse . thats what i have been told but who knows

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a ball bearing turbo, that's pretty sweet. That might actually be based off a Garrett GT-series turbo, they're all ball bearing now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with ATS , had to get some drain grommets. Anyway the Aurora is NOT a ball bearing turbo, it is a borg warner journal bearing design that has better efficiency than a garrett. So that means some new wheel and housing configurations. They do have their own foundrys to make housings so that is probably how they make it flow better.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My seat-of-the-pants-o-meter says my new Aurora 2000 turbo moves WAY more air than the previous 088 kit I had on the truck. The wastegate lets it spool up almost instantly, even with the added length of my intercooler plumbing in the mix.

Russ is right, no ball bearings, but with the nice cool EGT's of a diesel it should last a LONG time. Nice full 3" downpipe, and plenty of air coming in through the 4" inlet. I'm using the stock ATS airbox in favor of the open-element style intake I had on my 088 kit, in an effort to keep the most dirt out of the turbo. I am also using the factory air snorkel that goes from the grille area to the air box, as outlined in the ATS instructions.

I've shortened the wastegate rod as much as possible, and can only get 9-10 psi out of it, due to a lack of fuel. I'm sure it'd build more boost if i had some more fuel, but I haven't turned up the pump mainly because I haven't had a lack of power. It's a totally different animal now with the trailer hooked up, and mileage is decent too, despite having 4.10 gears and 285/75 BFG AT's on the truck.

Ryan

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna upgrade my turbo now too...

I would not be at all surprised if they finally went to a T04E wheel on the Aurora, rather than the outdated T04B wheel they used to use (which was barely adequate for our engines at STOCK power and boost levels).

I have a single ball bearing T3/T04E hybrid that would probably bolt right in, but I think it needs rebuilt and it doesn't have the right compressor wheel on it. Plus I still have bad memories of taking my turbo off last time. bleh.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My injector supplier said the IDI aurora looks exactly like the 093 with a purple comp housing, he serviced a truck with one on it, said it drove like an 093 so I am guessing there is a lot of hype involved.

btw he said 1100 for the complete used 093 kit, 5 hours on a rebuilt turbo.

That's what I've heard as well. It is basically the same turbo as the "old" 093 with a new name. But it is apparently different per you post.

I prefer the boost to start at lower RPM. Not a big fan of turbo lag. That's why I chose the Banks wastegated turbo. With that said, my wastegate doesn't open anymore (I don't want it too). But, it is nice to start building boost when needed at 1000 RPM when needed.;Sweet

Heath

tknomaj

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with ATS , had to get some drain grommets. Anyway the Aurora is NOT a ball bearing turbo, it is a borg warner journal bearing design that has better efficiency than a garrett. So that means some new wheel and housing configurations. They do have their own foundrys to make housings so that is probably how they make it flow better.

:dunno when I first purchased my truck a couple of years ago. I asked all kind of questions from ats, here, and anyone who it seemed might have more insight into what parts to use and so forth. ATS said it was a bearing turbo and it spooled faster than my 093 and that it would flow more air volume. I think Russ is right has never given any cause to question. and knows more about turbos than i ever care to :hail and many also said bearing turbos do not hold up as well so thats why i have a Russ special :sly