Ats 093 vs Banks wastegated turbo

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read several threads outlining the differences between both of these kits.

I have an ats 093 kit and a banks wastegated kit with about 40k on it.

Does anyone have experience running both of these kits. I was wondering which one boosted fasted and which was more effiecent.

The truck I pulled the ats off of pulled hard considering it was missing the bolts on the back of the intake that held the oil drain on lol. But I havent been able to run the banks kit yet.

What you hitting for max boost with each kit. Videos are welcome.

Billy

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i only have a Banks non-gated but I can tell you that the install was a PITA. Idk how hard it is to get the downpipe in on the ATS kit but I had one hell of a time getting the Banks in.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the actually 093 kit on inplace of the factory kit today. All I can say is I thought it whisked a lot before it sure whistles a lot now. Its still set to 8the psi so I need to fix that. I think I still have an exhaust leak because it doesn't quite spool as fast as I figured it would. The motor still seems to lug when I get into the pedal.

Any ideas on the lugging? I need to check the timing and possibly increase the fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have taken care of all your exhaust leaks. I remembr NMB2 used header wrap on his hot side pipes. I recall that this does have a downside thought, I think it might cause them to deteriorate faster...how much faster I'm not sure. One of the people that PunkMechanic installed a kit for ceramic coated their pipes which would be better. Does this engine have studs or headbolts? 6.9? Personally I'd play ball with a studded engine and I'd have no problem boosting on up to 20 psi at least with them, more possibly depending on the build. In any case once you make sure you're using all your energy from the exhaust efficiently then it needs less restriction on the air intake side and more fuel to burn. Enjoy the project and your Thanksgiving!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still currently on stock head bolts pushing 15the plus at times. It starts spooling and whistling quick but doesn't boost right away.

Honestly I've been trying to blow the head gaskets for the last couple years and haven't been able to. They start to weep if I push 15 for very long though lol.

I just can't figure out why it feels so boggy. Could be the big tires but it should boost pretty quickly.

Also, its amazing how restricted the stock ford exhaust housing and down pipe are. The actual 093093 kit has a hugh housing compared to ford.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Im still currently on stock head bolts pushing 15the plus at times. It starts spooling and whistling quick but doesn't boost right away.

Honestly I've been trying to blow the head gaskets for the last couple years and haven't been able to. They start to weep if I push 15 for very long though lol.

I just can't figure out why it feels so boggy. Could be the big tires but it should boost pretty quickly.

Also, its amazing how restricted the stock ford exhaust housing and down pipe are. The actual 093093 kit has a hugh housing compared to ford.

Banks > ATS.

Still running 4.10?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep still 4.10. Im going to play with this kit for awhile to see what it will do. If I don't blow a gasket ill swap the banks kit in to compare the three.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One tiny exhaust leak on the drive side will kill turbo response.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to take a look at. Impositive its leaking at the slip joint on the up pipe. Its always comes a part easily when I pull the turbo off.

I planned to use the ford oil line but found that only one of the two holes were actually threaded to secure it down. So I got an adapter to bolt the line to the factory turbo location on the back of the block.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran her this morning for a little bit. Max boost 9pretty psi with no smoke what so ever. The other kit smoked like a dog even at 13 psi. Guess I need to put my pyro in and crank up the fuel.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
seal all your connections. from the flanges at the manifold to the turbo. You might not even hear the leaks but you might see soot building up.

Walker exhaust makes a product called acoustiseal that works great for this.

The part number is 35959. I always use this on exhaust joints.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
One tiny exhaust leak on the drive side will kill turbo response.

well there is my problem.

gonecrazy: don't feel bad about the boggyness. my factory 093 maxes out at 5 psi if i am really on the throttle. i don't start making any boost until i get to 2,000+rpm. civilized driving does not even move my boost gauge.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a factory 093 Turbo with the crushed down pipe and ut would 13 psi with lots of smoke. I put the actual ats version and 3 inch downpipe and it spools sooner but downstairs boost hard right away.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
well there is my problem.

gonecrazy: don't feel bad about the boggyness. my factory 093 maxes out at 5 psi if i am really on the throttle. i don't start making any boost until i get to 2,000+rpm. civilized driving does not even move my boost gauge.

Dang! As soon as I step on the throttle with my Sidewinder it jumps to 5 almost instantly and once I get over 2K it will quickly run up to 8 and continue to 10. Pulling a heavy load I have seen it around 2700 making 12-13 and then I back out of it a little. I love my sidewinder kit. I know it's going to be tough to get parts if I ever have to rebuild the turbo, but I doubt that will happen for years and years. I only put maybe 5000 a year on the truck. ;Sweet

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this kit will boost like that if I sealed all the leaks. It spools and whistles quick but doesn't boost hard very quickly. Probably around 2k . I need more fuel as well as I don't have any smoke at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online