Are there any known ways to mate an IDI to a chevy 4L60E 700R etc?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm contemplating some of the moving parts for my next project, and I was curious if anyone knows if this has been done or if its possible.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would you want to?
arnt they vacuum and computer operated?

some 700R4's are non computerized.
you can also get a stand alone Cpu i guess.

my dad has a 4L60E
he's on his 5th one since 2000

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4l80e. Is tougher. Depends on what you want to do. Can always make an adapter plate in place of the one on the international block. Are the gm's the same deal?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4l80e is plenty capable. I plan on swapping a 7.3 into my Burban in the near future. I am also very interested in an adapter... I looked all over last year but didn't find one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machine a billet plate to replace stock adapter...find an SAE bellhousing see if trans bolts to that????

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright...spill.... What are you up to now? You want an overdrive transmission. Possibly with lockup converter. (Can't remember if 700r locks or not). You either want smaller because you picked those trannies or you just don't want an E4DOA.

Probably the cleanest would be to design and have the IDI to bbc or sbc pattern cut into it. Wouldn't be that hard if you had a plate for the IDI. Hell, you might even get lucky and be able to redrill the ford plate...

:dunno

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Yeah I didnt think there was anything out there, but I figured I'd ask, who knows maybe there was some weird application that had a chevy trans behind a IH motor. Spent a lot of time searching yesterday. Couldn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd see if anybody knew.

As far as why? I don't know that I even want to. The plan is eventually to build the wife a DD. Everything is on the table as to what it may be, engine, trans, rig etc. The only limitations are that she will want an auto, that's a deal breaker on her end. On my end the deal breakers are, it has to be body on frame, 4x4, at least 23 years old, and a diesel.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can find something that goes through the SAE adapter as an intermediate but it might require stacking 2 adapters. Not sure how you feel about that.

I've seen the Nissan diesels swapped into a couple things including a scout. That might be an interesting platform to look into. :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about this as the 700R4 is all mechanical except lockup and that can be done also. But it is a 1 wire hookup for lockup . And since I have built many 700's for durability I figured it may hold up, race input shaft and drum is a must IMO.
There is not enough meat to mod the existing adapter, it would be very easy to make an aluminum one and machine a spud to accept the GM convertor snout.
That is about as far as I got in that thought process.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The 700/4l60 doesnt really like having a 6.2 in front of it. But I had considered putting a 7.3 infront of a th400 or 4l80. My thought was to use an ULTRA BELL for a 460, but never got my hands on one to see if it was workable to the idi pattern.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nissan diesel in a scout wasnt a swap...that would have been factory

His didn't come that way. It was a nice wheeling rig.

My buddy I think had all the stuff to convert his scout to a Detroit 2 stroke but lost interest. I assume that was via SAE bel housing. He had converted it from a 727 over to t18 or t19. Don't remember which.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance