aprox. price for a valve job?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I know my local shop charges $8 per valve to grind the valve and cut the seat in the head so just about $150 with taxes to do a pair of heads plus valve seals and guides if needed.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
7.3's are notorious valve eaters. Prolly going to be need some valve's/guides, too.

If a guy keeps his eyes peeled, he can find some good deals. I just got a set of rebuilt 7.3 heads for $250

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure, but it looks like somebody went over those heads with a wire wheel.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious about the valve dropping situation. Is there a bombproof upgrade to make when redoing the heads or is it just a " hope I stay lucky forever" situation?

Not that I need to know now but who knows someday. I hope not.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I just dropped off two heads at the shop yesterday, one is ok the other is maybe cracked? $35 each to clean and check, and I'll let you know what else happens.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure, but it looks like somebody went over those heads with a wire wheel.

Probably worse than that! Looks like the dreaded by machine shops everywhere roloc discs! We had to surface so many heads and blocks because people screwed up the surfaces with those darn discs...:backoff

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Curious about the valve dropping situation. Is there a bombproof upgrade to make when redoing the heads or is it just a " hope I stay lucky forever" situation?

Not that I need to know now but who knows someday. I hope not.

Not sure if they are available for these valves (but I would assume they are) we used 10 degree valve keepers and retainers on engines prone drop a valve instead of the standard 7 degree, might be worth asking about.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have any idea on a price for a valve job?

I asked the guy I worked for at the machine shop for a price, he said $200 plus gaskets, that included valve job, magna flux, new valve guides, seals, etc. and I would let them work on ANYTHING I owned. They are as good as any machine shop and better than most. They have worked on several high dollar motors and such for me with very good results, so I would think their prices comparable about anywhere.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

Probably worse than that! Looks like the dreaded by machine shops everywhere roloc discs! We had to surface so many heads and blocks because people screwed up the surfaces with those darn discs...:backoff

I asked and here is what he said.....

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]yes i do have the rocker arms. i use a scuff pad that is made to clean off the gaskets they dont eat any of the metal away. thanks.[/FONT]

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
They don't come that clean with scuff pads - Only with Roll-loc's or emery cloth....We use Fine Emery cloth to clean block decks and heads along with a decent gasket scraper and some brake cleaner.