Anyone with an 87 out there wanna help me out?!?!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an 87 model truck wanna help me out an pop their hood for a couple minutes and trace some wires for me? The big green double wire runs from the solenoid on the passenger fender and looks like it used to run to the GP controller but I'm not sure. The white double wire is still there inthe harness but it was zip tied back, but I may have done that when I pulle the motor two years ago. The wire looks factory because it's the same size and has the same rubber pieces that say "fuseable link" just like all the others. And it was hooked to something cause it has wear marks on both sides and I do Remembe unhooking it...just not where it goes!

The small red and green wires are on the driver side between the washer fluid tank and the fuel separator. Looks like a mouse has been in there but I cant find what these two go to either. My washer pump wires are chewed apart but I can see where they go but have no idea about these. Thanks!

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/thefarmboy21/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/thefarmboy21/?action=view&current=photo-1.jpg

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/thefarmboy21/?action=view&current=photo-2.jpg

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On my 89 these two wires were yellow and they went into one lug at each end. I replaced them with speaker multi strand wire from an audio store. Usually these small wires carry just barely enough amps to fire the system but. As this amp load goes thru the engine main wire harness its really reduced in size so the plug heats up. Any dirt or corrosion and the plug melts from the heat. Instand electricl fire. Replace it now and install a circut breaker inline to be safe.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, the big green double wire has one eyelet on the mystery end and the other end of the wire has two eyelets (one eye per wire) so then are you saying that it goes from the GP controller to the solenoid? And perhaps someone added it for extra juice, or to replace the original that's inside the plastic case of the wiring harness?

I haven't been out to the garage to check the voltage on it yet. Thanks!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so big double green wire from solenoid has 12v all the time. Glowplug controller isn't showing any voltage + or - at anytime, even with the key on?!?! Pretty sure the main power wire from harness should have 12v right? If that green wire is for the GP controller, is it ok to have power even with the key off or only with key in on position? Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you checked voltage on both sides of the main engine wire harness plug yet...