anyone running this banks kit

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I'm getting ready to redo some things on it in the next couple months, e4od, ic, typ4 cam, studs and some rust repair.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snapon that's an awesome setup. Where did u find ur piping? I can't find a place for aluminum or a place to bend it. I'm almost considering exhaust pipe for intercooler but I haven't seen it done and I'm sure this a reason why.
8-9 psi would be prerfect for what I'm doing and keeping it going without studding it.

Here are some pics of my intercooler setup. I don't have a tube bender so this is what I came up with using exhaust tubing.

'99 psd intercooler, 2 1/2" exhaust tubing (painted on both sides), silicone boots from siliconeintakes, PSD intake hat thanks to Ottoparts via Typ4.

Setup - all mentioned above +, 6.9l, ZF-5, 3.55 gears, 33 inch tires, IP turned up 1.5 flats, (not sure on injectors), non-gated banks turbo, K&N filter (not the best), 4" straight pipe exhaust, RDT, and dual e-fans. .

Results (empty) - 4th@65h = 2300rpm on flat = 1 1/2 psi = 300 degrees
Results (loaded towing 9000lbs) - 4th@65mph on flat = 2300ish rpm = 4 psi = 450 degrees
4th maintaining 65mph on 4% grade =2300ish rpm = 8 psi = 700 degrees

Attachments

• PICT0192.JPG
    PICT0192.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0199.JPG
    PICT0199.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 21

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
squeaky do those boots actually have the bends in them and u connect straight pieces of pipe?? if so where did u find them and what was the cost?? i was looking at how this thing came together today and it looks like i wont be able to keep the banks box like i wanted to.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found a way to run my intercooler pipes last nite. I'm gonna lift the banks box off the intake manifold 4in and run the turbo outlet underneath the box to the right side of the truck and for the inlet there is a flat enough surface on the left side of the box to cut a hole and put in a piece of pipe. This left me with 2 questions. Is the 4inch rise off the intake gona have any affect on me and can the box be tig welded for the piece of pipe??

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
squeaky do those boots actually have the bends in them and u connect straight pieces of pipe?? if so where did u find them and what was the cost?? i was looking at how this thing came together today and it looks like i wont be able to keep the banks box like i wanted to.

Yes the boots have bends in them and I used straight pipe. I got them from siliconeintakes.com. I don't remember the price exactly but they have prices on their website. When I was figuring out how to run the tubes I used empty paper towel rolls and masking tape to mock it up. By doing this it was easy to figure out the exact bends and length of pipe I needed.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my intercooler setup. I don't have a tube bender so this is what I came up with using exhaust tubing.

'99 psd intercooler, 2 1/2" exhaust tubing (painted on both sides), silicone boots from siliconeintakes, PSD intake hat thanks to Ottoparts via Typ4.

Setup - all mentioned above +, 6.9l, ZF-5, 3.55 gears, 33 inch tires, IP turned up 1.5 flats, (not sure on injectors), non-gated banks turbo, K&N filter (not the best), 4" straight pipe exhaust, RDT, and dual e-fans. .

Results (empty) - 4th@65h = 2300rpm on flat = 1 1/2 psi = 300 degrees
Results (loaded towing 9000lbs) - 4th@65mph on flat = 2300ish rpm = 4 psi = 450 degrees
4th maintaining 65mph on 4% grade =2300ish rpm = 8 psi = 700 degrees

I cant believe how cool you're running. My banks turboed truck runs 900° at 65mph on flat ground. I can hit 1150° in a blink....

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome squeak thanks I'm gona look into it now. I got a piece of 5.5 inch pipe today 4 inches tall and .25 inch thick walls and takin to get machined tomaro to fit over intake and into the box. Think this should work so I can run the pipes like I wanted to.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeak is there a reason u run 2.5 inch pipe and not than 3in???

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a lot of searching other posts/threads prior to installing my intercooler and I found the majority of other people tend to go with a 2 1/2" size so that is what I did. Looking at the clearance from my intercooler pipe (over the alternator) and the hood I don't think 3 inch would work in my setup. If you have 3 inch pvc you may want to mock it up before buying 3 inch. If you are planning on going with siliconeintakes boots you may want to check and see if they make the correct 3" reducer for connecting your pipes to the intake side of your turbo.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant believe how cool you're running. My banks turboed truck runs 900° at 65mph on flat ground. I can hit 1150° in a blink....

I just replaced my thermocouple. Maybe my gauge is off but the most i have ever seen is 900 and that was with no intercooler. I only have the pump turned up 1 1/2 flats and the most exhaust smoke I see is a light gray color when loaded heavy pulling up hill. The intercooler lowered my egt's by about 150 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online