Anyone running first gen Banks?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I got down to test fitting my turbo pipe on the 83 6.9 with the old cracked heads, turbo, adapter, and empty zf5 shell all bolted on. It does not fit.
You must be registered for see images attach

From the looks of everything, the angle of the turbo pedestal inlet crashes right into the bell housing. I know for a fact this first gen kit I got came off of a 2wd 85 f250 with a C6 and gear vendor. I called Banks last year when I got it and I got very little help besides being able to get a new crossover/up pipe ( this one is shot ) IF this one works. Well, it doesn't. The other custom made crossover/up pipe that I got with the 83 6.9 doesn't work either. That one was a T18 manual.

So! My question: Anyone running a first gen Banks with a ZF tranny? If so what did you do to get over this problem? I'm thinking shim the turbo mount between the head and the mount itself so it sits back to engage the up pipe. Only problem with that is, I think the turbo all ready is almost into the firewall. Help!

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Those units are trans specific. Had to make a new up pipe for mine as the ZF trans is deeper than the E4OD's. Hated that turbo for servicing. not very user friendly compared tot he others out there.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed there are two Banks pedestals... Auto and manual. Interested as I have one and am swapping from C6 to ZF5. Interestingly my early non wastegated Banks up pipe goes up the passenger side. Wonder if that means mine will work with a ZF5. Any better pics of the pedestal/turbo/airbox to help identify and compare?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable. That looks sweet. Sure wish I owned one! Here is everything I currently have.

As you can see, I have 2 turbos. The complete kit came off of a 85 f250 with a c6, and the other one was on the 83 6.9. Both the wrong pedestal.

I can see the writing on the wall. This ain't happening. It's a snowball effect at the moment. Might as well get a 2nd gen wastegate Sidewinder...why stop there. Get R&D'S Stage 3 turbo kit and put a monster turbo on it. Minimum of a Omega Moose I reckon. At that point I'm probably way pushing a stock compression 6.9 even with studs. I hate to say it but I think I'm going to just get a conversion kit and put in my first gen Cummins. What the hell else am I going to do with it? Let it sit for years? Here's the silver lining! When my 7.3 comes out, game on. I KNOW this one runs and besides a few to many ether blasts she's no worse for ware. Go from the bottom up. All 8 holes sleeved, girdle, shaved and coated pistons. Being honest with myself I realize this 7.3 project will probably be in years not months. I would like to get a nice crew cab to go cross country with. However once Its done I can enjoy it for life. A fully mechanically controlled animal.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks will still hand make the pipes... they saved the blueprints. Don't know if they will still do the pedestals. I have a 1st gen like that, installed in '87, but it's an automatic.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Banks will not cast any new parts for the old systems. They still have the molds and dies but cost to do a run is not worthwhile for onesie twosie orders for us cheap ******** with the old systems. They will still bend you up pipes for any of their older systems for reasonable prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online