Anyone local to southern California want to time a truck

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried timing myself, unfortunately I couldn’t get my ip to rotate without rounding the wrench lug off, my buddy says he grabs the whole pump housing but I’m sure if you loosens the injection lines it would be easier. I’m curious if anyone is close to San Bernardino county that would be willing to take payment to time my truck?

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're both right. A large set of channel lock pliers will rotate the pump and loosening the lines makes it much easier. Snap on has a double open end wrench that makes getting the pump nuts loose and tight much easier. $40 but it greatly simplifies the job.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I didn’t have an issue getting the nuts loose, my problem is once they were loose my pump would only move maybe 1/16 of an inch either way then bind up I assume on the injection lines.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much movement to change the timing on a rotary style pump like these. I normally loosen the injector lines just to make it easier and had the wrench to slide under the lips of the pump to get a good grip on it. The injector lines had more flex in them than I was expecting.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find anyone to time it for you? I am in socal also, could use some advice on my truck, someone who knows enough to time it well, probably knows enough to help me figure out what is wrong with mine... :) I am not well versed in diesel repair, but I am learning...

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a bit hard to describe, but will try. At idle or just above, there is what sounds like cross between something loose and a vibration. At higher rpm it seems to go away, or maybe it is just not apparent because of engine noise or movement. I live near whittier, ca.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing, there is a slight vibration in the frame as it passes the point where it stops and starts, when it reaches that point if you rev the engine past that point and then let it fall back to idle. I havent been driving it much, dont want to make a problem worse when it might be an easier fix to do beforehand. I had it at a shop that said they new idi diesels, he said he could hear what i was talking about, but that it was not bad enough for him to determine what it was yet...

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, automatic. E40d. Not sure if it is relevant or not, but for a when this first started happening, a short time later there was a additional sound, coming from the bottom of the engine, bell housing area (where you could hear it easiest) that sounded like a loose piece of sheet metal or something. If I had to describe it, sounded like a spoon that was vibrating around on a piece of steel.. tink, tink, tunk, :)

I ran into a diy mechanic who said he had a trans that was going bad that sounded like that, but seems like odd sound to make for a trans. I did crawl around under the truck with a short stick and pressed on everything I could think of to see I could make the noise go away, no luck there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1