Anyone in New Mexico or Texas?

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Alamorgodo, New Mexico.. and was wondering if there are any guru's that live close by.. Las Cruses, Albq, Roswell, ect.. or even like El Paso Texas.. I could use a hand

I've been have some trouble pinning down and figuring out why I'm blowing white smoke.. I have no oil loss or coolant loss, and all brand new BB injectors, I've broken my fuel lines off one by one and the engine stutters and misses so I assume all my cylinders are fireing..

I've been told something different from each diesel shop.. from I got bad injectors all the way to my transmission isn't holding load properly and causing surges in my engine rpms... I don't think some people should be mechanics

Idk

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in Duke City but I'm not really a full-blown guru on these yet.

What does the smoke smell like? If you're not burning any oil or coolant, my first GUESS would be underfueled. Try advancing the timing maybe? Where did you get the injectours?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the white smoke smelling like diesel and make your eyes water?

If so that's unburnt fuel.

Where are the injectors from? Are they reman or new?

Has the IP been replaced?

How many miles on truck?

Have you adjusted timing? If not timing can play a big part.

Lots of questions need to be answered to provide you an answer.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke is usually unburnt fuel. Getting your engine timed will probably take care of it. Too late of fuel injection, and the unburnt fuel is pumped out on the exhaust stroke = white smoke.
Try advancing the IP timing about 1/16", rotate the top of the IP towards the pass side.

Common causes.
Loss of compression in one or more cylinders.
Retarded injection pump (IP) timing.
Fuel return line restricted.
T'stat stuck open. Engine not heating up.
Injector pop pressure way uneven.

Last edited:

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new pop tested Delphin injectors from Conostiga diesel..

Was told the IP was replaced, looks kinda old tho...

From what I'm told only about 110-120k on the motor

And since no garages have the tool the cheapest quote for timing was 500 bucks..

And only smokes under heavy throttle.. none at idle or crusing under 1500-1800 rpms

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust smells like diesel.. can't rev it and sniff the smoke at the same time... there's about 46 feet of exhaust pipe between me and the tip... it's about as long as a bus

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I advance the timing with out messing up the static timing?.. all the videos online look like you just lossen bolts and just swivle the pump.. do you not have to lift the pump to adjust timing? Just simply turning it can change the timing?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I advance the timing with out messing up the static timing?.. all the videos online look like you just lossen bolts and just swivle the pump.. do you not have to lift the pump to adjust timing? Just simply turning it can change the timing?

Hope this can assist you...

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...tment-for-timing-purposes&highlight=IP+timing

Just do an advanced search for "IP timing" select thread titles and my username for some more good threads on timing!

Hope that gets you going...

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thread.. guess I'm gonna give it a shot... what's the worst that can happen adjusting the thickness of a Canadian dime.. if it fails, I'll put out back

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/2 the thickness of a dime...1/2....read it again!

LOL

Don't forget to centre punch a mark so you know exactly where you started!

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I put 1/2 in my reply... it's because I haven't had any beer yet this morning... my head is a little foggy, haha

And I will center punch it...

Any tricks for that one nut that's spose to be a pain in the a**?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well it seems like your timing is the issue or the pump is shot. Now about that timing cost of $5000.00... Yikes thats robbery for sure. don't ever go back to that shop for anything. Now if someone was to time your engine you must known how they are doing it. We can time several different ways. The easiest and fastest way is the pulse method. the timing meter has 2 probes that we connect to the engine. then start and rev to 2000 rpm to time. the next method is called the luminosity timing method. Thats where you remove number one glow plug and install the lumonosity probe. the engine is reved to 1400 rpm and the meter tells you the timing. Some meters can time with a timing lite. Problem with that is you really have to get the lite aimed directly at the timing tab. Its not very precise but it works just the same. I use a Kent Moore J33300-A meter that does all the work for me. It has a microprocessor that tells me what the timing is down to a tenth of a degree. Just clean 2 locations on the engine. Attach 2 probes and rev engine to 20000 rpm. the meter has the rpm and degrees of timing on it. Easy to use too. Kent Moore also makes another older meter called the J33300. It also has the same microprocessor in it and times the same way. There are 2 special tools needed to time our idi engines. One is the special bent 9/16 wrench for those hard to reach nuts and the pump turning tool. Ebay has the pump turning wrench listed for around $120.00. Kind of expensive when a member here makes them for $40.00. His handle is Freebirdoo7 I think. His name is Jason. Great guy with a great too he made... Advancing your timing is wht I feel you need at this time. When you install new injectors that usually retards the timing because the pop pressure is higher than what the old injectors had. Mel at Conestoga is a great guy to deal with. He has helped hundreds of members and people all over the world with his products. Making the center punch mark in the joint between the pump and the housing is a good idea so you know where you are if things needs to be reset. Please do not remove the injection pump with the housing, gear and pump as one piece. you will loose the gear timing for sure. then its hell getting it back... Depending on how the pump was replaced could tell us lots about the timing and possible gear timing too. Does the pump look like its leaning over towards the passenger side fender much. Usually they stand straight up looking down on them..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance