Anyone ever had a wrist pin walk on them?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
working on actually building an engine for the ranchero.
IDIT short block
shaved .020 and coated slugs
typ4 cam
heads from the catastrophic failure.
omega+ pump
ok enough of that....

on to the question.
after my last FE build, I decided to use spiral locks instead of the stock keepers.

curious to know if ANYONE has ever heard of a wrist pin walking on these ole hunkojunks!
thanks!
pic has nothing to do with post.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes I did. Silvolite pistons had an issue with this back in the mid 90's. It wasn't actually their fault. They used another supplier to make their snaprings for retaining the wristpins. The problem was that they weren't made right. if I recall, they were made too soft(?) and after a while, they would lose their tension and fall out. They had to buy several engines from us and pay us to replace them. We had to save the snaprings, piston pieces, block pieces, and bent rods for them to see and also we had to document things like engine serial numbers for them. Wee also had to save the blocks for them in case they ever wanted to see them. They did eventually fix the problem and used a different supplier. As far as I know, Mahle never had this problem. Since our engines used Mahle pistons stock (from what I've been told) it wasn't an issue with stock pistons. If you ever want to make a HUGE mess on your shop floor, take a full oil pan off the bottom of a grenaded engine like these were without draining the oil pan for at least two hours first. The oil/antifreeze sludge doesn't drain out very quickly. I wouldn't be afraid to use the stock style of snaprings at all.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes they have escaped their groove but VERY seldom just the same. My thoughts are the failures MUST have been installed wrong. Even in our low rpm beasts we do have a correct position for the ends. Remember goggle is your friend.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they have escaped their groove but VERY seldom just the same. My thoughts are the failures MUST have been installed wrong. Even in our low rpm beasts we do have a correct position for the ends. Remember goggle is your friend.
ive always done them 90* from the motion. I personally never walked one, but I had a 428 CJ come in my boat that it happened to.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had it happen to me, but have seen it happen on other engines, especially 2 strokes.
I think the open end of the clip is supposed to face either up or down, not side to side.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Never had it happen to me, but have seen it happen on other engines, especially 2 strokes

Same, I was actually just talking to a buddy of mine who I sold some 2 stroke bikes. I had a good one, and a titled one to go with it. The titled one was "shot - bad crank" as the friend I bought it from told me.

But the clips were not in place, and the wrist pin made a groove in either side of the cylinder. That buddy of mine that bought the bikes also told me that grooving the lower end of the cylinder is how some engine manufacturers would make an "easy start motor" haha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online