anybody have experiance with these pyrometers?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I have one. I can't say enough good things about it.

It's even accurate enough to tell you what temp your cold engine is in the morning, to the exact degree. Let's see a needle gauge do that!

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a commercial grade instrument that happens to fall into the automotive market. Since it is a commercial grade it has some really great features, time stamping with highest and lowest values and programmable alarms so you can set an alarm if you hit a preset value. If you like digital gauges it is a good value. I suspect it is probably Chinese made. You can read more about them at the Auber web site.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's even accurate enough to tell you what temp your cold engine is in the morning, to the exact degree. Let's see a needle gauge do that!

You can certainly get an analog pyrometer that will display at that range but it will have a 12" dial and cost you about $3,000.00. My job in a former life.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
You can certainly get an analog pyrometer that will display at that range but it will have a 12" dial and cost you about $3,000.00. My job in a former life.

If you have the cash, I guess anything is possible. Would like to see that mounted in a dash...or better yet, a pillar pod.:rotflmao

Actually, some people I know only look at their pyro when driving...might work for them

I suspect it is probably Chinese made.

Designed in Georgia, USA, but built in China. It was shipped to me from Alpharetta, GA.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That exposed junction on the thermocouple scares me a bit. I don't know how long that will last in a soot filled exhaust stream. ISSPro pyrometers are the only ones in the industry that have built in compensation for your in-cab temperatures. I need your purchase more than the ebay guy. :/

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ditto. Got mine from:
http://thesensorconnection.com/category/egt-pyrometers/all-egt-pyrometers
These are really nice folks - post office lost my first order, and he replaced it. Highly recommended.
Also ordered some low-temp J-type probes for transmission/water temps.

P.S. I should have mentioned - it can be a bit distracting if you mount it directly in your line of vision.
It is constantly updating and changing, MUCH faster than an analog gauge.
<als>

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had one for over 2 years now. Works great. I opted for the one with blue LED's, but otherwise the same thing.
I'd say the only real drawback is finding a way to mount it in your dash: requires a 1" x 2" rectangular hole.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had one for over 2 years now. Works great. I opted for the one with blue LED's, but otherwise the same thing.
I'd say the only real drawback is finding a way to mount it in your dash: requires a 1" x 2" rectangular hole.

Yeah. There is not a good place in the '91 dash to mount it - I mounted mine just to the right of the steering column,
but you have to hunt for it to see it. It's not directly in your vision.
The same folks I posted before offer a little housing to fit it that could be glued/bolted just about anywhere.
<als>

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Action shot!
Here's mine in action (towing a pretty big gooseneck). And yes mounting it on the dash of a 91 is difficult.

The ONLY complaint i have, and its not really a complaint either, is that in sub zero temperatures mine can give crazy readings (i.e. 4275 degrees once). However the second i turn the truck on it imediatly clears up and starts acting normal.

I plan on buying more of these.
http://youtu.be/7IypKYiftKA

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chruist that blue light is intense! I hate blue lights, so ******* the eyes.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chruist that blue light is intense! I hate blue lights, so ******* the eyes.

You can set what temp that light comes on at. Mine was default at 900 degrees and im just to lazy to change it LOL

I suppose you could just set it to 2000 degrees and it would never come on...or if it did...the blue light might be the least of you problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online