Any Treatment For Water In Fuel

FOXY005

Reaction score
Is there anything you can put in Diesel Fuel to keep any Water that is in the fuel tank from freezing in the lines

My problem this morning.......truck started and ran fine for several minutes and than just quit.....fuel starvation .....after sitting for several minutes it woud start and run fof several second and die.......my fuel is treeted with Howes Lubricator but I must have
picked up some water with my last fill-up and with -1 degree temp. and -35 wind chill this morning it froze in the line.

Had to have it towed.

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
Use Power Service 9-1-1 for diesel fuel. The type for gasoline will wreck your injection pump.

BigSix

Reaction score
Right on... Do NOT put in additives to emulsify fuel and water. The fuel water separator must be allowed to do it's job of separating the water from the fuel. Water mixed in the fuel can literally blow the tip off of an injector.

FOXY005

Reaction score
THANKS

I will be looking for some Power Service 9-1-1

Any suggestions on a good place to look for it.

FOXY005

Reaction score
I didn't even think of those places, I guess that would have been to easy.

Well I ran a search on truckstops in PA & NJ yesterday morning and got some phone numbers.... called 5 truckstops and the first 4 were sold out of Diesel 9-1-1 the 5th one had it so I took a little 85 mile round trip drive yesterday "nice little drive in the snow fender benders all over" and laid in a supply of Power Service Diesel 9-1-1.

The first bottle went in the tank as soon as I got to the truck.

Question: ... How often do you guys normally treat your fuel with 9-1-1, only when you really need it or on a regular basis ?

Iron Horse

Reaction score
9-1-1 is for emergency use only, use it when the truck is gelled up, and will not run.

Get some PowerService fuel additive, cant rember what it is called, but it is in a white bottle. I put a little in with every tank.

QRTRHRS

Reaction score
Jim, where do you get your fuel? You need to go where they move a high volumn rather than a mom'n'pop that gathers moisture in the tank. Of course, you can get a load of crap anywhere but the odds are better with the volumn pumps.

FOXY005

Reaction score
I get my fuel at a local Agway that has a Auto Mate card system (you need a card to activate the pumps 24 / 7 accesability), they service the fleet trucks for several different local trucking companies.

Therefore I thought it would be a good place to get fuel (large volume turnover), but I assume that the tank was low and I picked up some water. I didn't think of it at the time but one of the pumps wouldn't run so I went to another pump, now I am thinking the pump may not have run because of low fuel volume in the tank.