Any one running the ATS 088 turbocharger kit?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the older ATS 088 turbo kit on my 6.9L and I'm not really happy with how it spools up. Does anyone have any experience with modding this turbocharger? It uses the Garrett T04B.

My understanding is that this turbo is only really intended to push up to around 8 PSI at redline to prevent head gasket failure, which means that boost lower down in the torque range can be disappointing. I was hoping to swap the compressor side since the turbine side can't really be replaced considering how ATS designed the kit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have the older ATS 088 turbo kit on my 6.9L and I'm not really happy with how it spools up. Does anyone have any experience with modding this turbocharger? It uses the Garrett T04B.

My understanding is that this turbo is only really intended to push up to around 8 PSI at redline to prevent head gasket failure, which means that boost lower down in the torque range can be disappointing. I was hoping to swap the compressor side since the turbine side can't really be replaced considering how ATS designed the kit.

Does the compressor side housing have a A/R number cast into it? You would want to go with a larger A/R I believe, I will do some digging on the web and see what I come up with ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Um, the 088 kit is the same kit that I have waiting to install in my brown truck. This kit is a non wastegated kit, which means the turbo just boosts and boosts until it literally blows your engine apart. A gated kit, "wastes" the boost when it comes to a certain limit controlling how much boost it will force into your engine.
The non gated kit's will easily push 15psi with the correct fuel system mods. But just because it will boost that much doesnt mean your motor will handle it.

What do you think is so doggy about it? Give us boost numbers and at what RPM, and explain your fuel system, what pump, what injectors, has the pump been turned up, etc.

Just an FYI, the factory 088 air box SUCKS. It has potential to leak, and it slows spool time because of the restricted air flow.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, a none gated turbocharger will eventually overboost with enough fuel and RPM, but this one doesn't really do that because ATS put such a large turbine on it to prevent exactly that from happening.

I am running stock code D injectors that are recent and a N/A type injector pump that is a reman (exact age unknown). The fuel is turned up, but not by too much because if I go much higher it will smoke badly in the lower or medium RPM range.

This is what I am making for boost right now:

1500 RPM : 2.5 psi
2000 RPM : 5-6 psi
2500 RPM : 7-9 psi
2500+ RPM probably just over 10

Those numbers are with the smoke just starting to roll on, and I know that if I were to add anymore fuel I could get more boost, but at a much lower efficiency. I've seen as much as 15 psi before the rebuild, but the smoke level was just ridiculous and the EGTs would rise almost as fast as the boost, so I backed it off.

Its not a bad kit overall, because servicing the engine is easier than with the newer 093 kit which covers up more of the engine and makes accessing the glow plugs or injectors harder on the rear of the engine. The power is still a night and day difference from being N/A, but I know it can do better, and I know my engine can take a lot more than only 10 psi (slightly dropped compression and ARP head studs).

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the compressor side housing have a A/R number cast into it? You would want to go with a larger A/R I believe, I will do some digging on the web and see what I come up with ;Sweet

Nope. No AR ratio on the compressor, just a bunch of part numbers which seem to be close to obsolete.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
To be honest, those boost numbers are pretty good. I have a wastegated ATS turbo and I see about that if I go WOT, except up top, my max boost on a cold day is 9psi, hot day probably around 8psi.

I was looking, and it looks like you would want a A/R .60 intake housing for more boost.

Here is a link to a place I found selling wheel's and housing's, its a little confusing. Just a quick glance, and it looks like the compressor wheel/housing combo that would work good would be the T04B H-3, or T04B V1/V2...both would net around a 25% increase in flow. Or you could step up to a 60-1 compressor housing/wheel and be right around a 75% increase in flow (to much in my opinion).

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig8.html

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/comp_wheels.html

suv7734

Reaction score
Um, the 088 kit is the same kit that I have waiting to install in my brown truck. This kit is a non wastegated kit, which means the turbo just boosts and boosts until it literally blows your engine apart.

The non-gated kits are designed to prevent this. Simply put the turbine, compressor and housings are matched to the CID of the engine so the max boost 'theoretically' can't exceed what the engine is capable of handling. Certainly there are ways to exceed the original design but before you get into any really significant numbers you will need to change housings etc.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that system on my '91. I hve found that the boost PSI is very sensitive to fueling changes at the injector pump.

The way I have it set now provides 12-13 psi and quite a bit of smoke at lower RPM's. With it defueled a flat, the boost is only 8 psi.

Additionally, any exhaust leak or backpressure issue will prevent spool up.

Greg

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to my truck.

Cruising around at around 45mph, or 1600rpms. Went WOT until around 65mph or around 2300rpms. It was cold, so that does help make the boost come on a little quicker/more boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jBleTYyn4&feature=related

Thats a pretty good run. Was there any smoke thrown at the lower RPM? I think I could see when the waste gate opened, needle acted like it hit a wall. I wish I could see that much boost at 1600 RPM.

Thanks for that link for turbochargers. I was not able to find such complete info like that in my searching.

Based on this I was able to identify what the ATS 088 has for a compressor wheel.

Inducer = 2.298"
Exducer = 2.750"
Inlet = 2.750"

This makes it the standard shaft H trim. Right in the middle of the range, so plenty of potential if I want it:thumbsup: If nothing else I might even find something used now that I know what to look for.

Truth be told, this is a used kit ($200) and it does have some slight nicks on the compressor blade and I used a micrometer to detect a slight bend in one of the blades, so replacing that might be in the works eventually anyway.

Based on everything I've heard about this turbo kit, I am still getting about the norm for what it was designed to put out, so I would definately like to look into these possible upgrades now that I know what I have. It still spools quickly and consistently, but just not far enough for my taste.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats a pretty good run. Was there any smoke thrown at the lower RPM? I think I could see when the waste gate opened, needle acted like it hit a wall. I wish I could see that much boost at 1600 RPM.

Thanks for that link for turbochargers. I was not able to find such complete info like that in my searching.

Based on this I was able to identify what the ATS 088 has for a compressor wheel.

Inducer = 2.298"
Exducer = 2.750"
Inlet = 2.750"

This makes it the standard shaft H trim. Right in the middle of the range, so plenty of potential if I want it:thumbsup: If nothing else I might even find something used now that I know what to look for.

Truth be told, this is a used kit ($200) and it does have some slight nicks on the compressor blade and I used a micrometer to detect a slight bend in one of the blades, so replacing that might be in the works eventually anyway.

Based on everything I've heard about this turbo kit, I am still getting about the norm for what it was designed to put out, so I would definately like to look into these possible upgrades now that I know what I have. It still spools quickly and consistently, but just not far enough for my taste.

I just crested a hill, so boost was a little high for the rpm's. I think I went WOT around 1400rpms and the vid came on a little slow.

I got a pretty good plume of smoke when its below 1400rpms. At 1600rpms if I was to go WOT it would put out black smoke for a sec, until the turbo spooled, then it would mostly go away. I have my pump set so that I see a little smoke at max boost, not much, but if you look in the mirror you can see the heat waves and a little bit of black mixed in. Of course the way my exhaust exits I only see about half of the smoke that comes out, through the mirror. I need a tip on my truck bad.

And yeah, you can see where the WG opens up. I start work tommorow ;Sweet so I will get some money. Once I get some money, I'm going to get a set of ARP head studs and redo the headgaskets, so that I can run more boost. While I'm at it I will throw in an intercooler as well, and adjust my WG for more boost.

In the summer now, I can see 8.5psi maybe, on a good run, 8psi is basically max now that the days are hotter.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FordGuy100,

Looking at your other Utube videos, I recognized your truck as I've seen some of other the clips before. There aren't many 6.9 IDIs on Utube:(

Sounds like you are running a strait pipe, I had mine like that for a while too.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, there arent much IDI vids. Hopefully I will get myself a better camera to get some better clips up, those 15 seconds go by pretty quick LOL.

Yeah, its straightpiped, I like it, I aint ever changing that. The sound of a straight piped turbo IDI is worth the cost of the turbo IMHO....then you add on the performance gain, and oh boy :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online