Any one have a good front drive shaft? I got

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my front drive shaft and apparently did it wrong because it only lasted about 6 months of the winter before blowing the u joints. I was wondering if any one has a front drive shaft for my truck in my sig. Let me know a price with shipping if so.

On a side note if someone is interested in the tailgate shell I have one that has the stock black carbon fiber *looking* bar on it and it says diesel on it. The aluminum is in great shape. Give me a FAIR offer cause I dont know what these should cost and its yours plus shipping.

I also have my old steering column. The bearings are bad but its got the Ujoint on it and the electrical connection for the ignition. If you can use it let me know.

Can you tell I cleaned out my garage????

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You're gonna be hard pressed to find one on here. I looked for a long time before I got mine. Go to ebay, there was a drive shaft shop selling brand new ones a while back for like $180.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front shaft in the bed of the truck to change the u joints, but I had to make a load to the scrap yard and when the magnet picked the metal out of the bed of my truck, it took the front driveshaft as well. I didnt even realize it was gone until about an hour later and it was too late.... It was gone!!!! I was so pissed

I bought one this weekend from a guy that was parting out a '93

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah im probably going to look for one on ebay or a truck being parted around here. When I "rebuilt" my drive line I replaced the U-joints. Maybe its just me but that damn knuckle on there was not easy. Difficult enough for me to call it a rebuild. Gives myself a better sense of accomplishment.:sly

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have an extra driveshaft, but it needs new u-joints. I probably have 2 extra driveshafts since I will be parting out my 86 later this year, but I have no idea what the condition of that one is right now. If you are interested, PM me.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That knuckle you're talking about is called a (I know i'm gonna misspell it) double cardian joint, and as far as I know you can't rebuild them. I've been told by two different driveshaft shops that when they wear out they are junk, they get cut off and a new one is installed.
Don't even bother trying to make an F250 driveshaft work, it wont. The size of the bearing caps are different on the F350 shaft.

Reaction score
Good timing. I just snapped mine yesterday! I need one also. Question, I have a 94' will one fit from say, an 89'? Are they different length between autos and manuals? thanks

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a few f350 driveshafts that didnt have the double cardan joint. One came out of a f350 cc dually 4x4. It was the same length and used the same joints as them one from my f250.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best publish the lenght of the drive shaft you need, yoke center to yoke center. As long as you have the right length, the bearing caps are not an issue. You can find comprimise U-joints pretty easily. Some factory configurations use U-joints with difference size caps all the time, such as an 86 extended cab with a 2 piece drive shaft. 2 of those U-joints are big/little cap combos. I have a spare also.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a dana 60 and this weekend we went to the dunes. On the way there we hit a freak storm with visibility about four inches in front of the hood. I was going 25 with a trailer and because of the poor condition of my front drive shaft I did not user 4x4. (Thought i would save it incase I ended up in a ditch.) after that experience I will be spending the money on a new C. joint (not even gonna try). I ended up mobbing my truck around the dunes and I could hear the shaft pinging around. I decided to take it off thinking that winter was pretty much over. Well that night we got 4" and this morning we woke up to about 8. Mother nature is pissed at me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online