Anti-gelling additive

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with cutting diesel with gas. We did that running big trucks in arctic conditions for years. The owners manuals for many European diesel cars have right in them that it's OK to blend up to 30% gas. Only thing being if the weather starts warming up, you want to start cutting that mix back down with some more diesel or drive with a light foot

I've had many times in a big truck after using crap like power service or fppf and gelling up where I've had to go grab a bunch of gas and dump it in both tanks to get going again

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had many times in a big truck after using crap like power service or fppf and gelling up where I've had to go grab a bunch of gas and dump it in both tanks to get going again

Years ago I worked at a place where it was so cold one morning every diesel truck started and stalled right out even though they were plugged in. One by one they were brought into the shop and a few gallons of kerosene was put in each tank. After they got the trucks going they never had a problem using Kerosene with the diesel as an anti gel.

Personally I would use kerosene over gasoline if I was concerned with gelling after using an anti gel.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I worked at a place where it was so cold one morning every diesel truck started and stalled right out even though they were plugged in. One by one they were brought into the shop and a few gallons of kerosene was put in each tank. After they got the trucks going they never had a problem using Kerosene with the diesel as an anti gel.

Personally I would use kerosene over gasoline if I was concerned with gelling after using an anti gel.

I haven't looked this up in a long time, and before I put any trust in it I would look it up, but IF I remember right Kerosene gels at 0 degrees, and Gasoline starts to gel at -40. While I don't think I'll have a serious need to add gas to my ULSD here in Indiana, if Kerosene does actually start to gel at 0 deg, then I'm not going to bother using that either. We do get that cold a few times a year. It's not uncommon for us to have a high of 0 or below for a few days a year also. I'll play around with one of my spare freezers before I trust anything though.

If I do ever get around to blending my fuels, I may use K1 or even Jet B (if I can find it) as my base fuel. At the rate I'm going, that will be a while.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Alcohol does the same damage as water in a diesel engine. Today's gasoline has 10% alcohol because the government's subsidy to corn growers (and as a bonus they get to damage our truck's engines). If you are thinking about storing diesel (which is something I'm doing also) that alcohol/water ingredient will complicate things also with stuff growing in your tanks with diesel (some people call it "algae").
If you think diesel additives are too expensive I think kerosene is the next best choice. Thanks God I don't have much problem here in Florida with gelling.
Burt. Investing now in precious metals: lead.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use gasoline in a diesel engine!

Now, there will be people telling you they've done it for years. And people will tell you they set the governor to 5000 rpm without damage, and they haul 50,000 pound trailers up the mountains and so on, and so on.

In Indiana, you do not need anything more than Power Service to treat your diesel fuel down to as low as -40F. I used to live in Bismarck, North Dakota. I know cold. I never had my truck even stumble using #2 and PS! Others will swear by Howes. It seems to work, but I learned to trust my life to Power Service. Having my truck gel up while running across The top of Montana in winter is not a good situation.

I don't like running #1 fuel (kerosene). It will kill your mileage, power, and is ******* the IP. Don't know about the injectors. Ask OldBull, he can tell you.

While you're talking about storing diesel, you need to investigate the problems associated with the bacteria that live and thrive in diesel. Once more, Power Service will address this. Gasoline or kersoene will not.

Buy your #2 at the best price you can get. Treat it with a good quality additive, and use it as you need it this winter.

Keep a bottle of the red Diesel 911 in the cab. If it gets to -50, it'll de-gel you and get you going again. If it gets colder than that in Indiana, call Al Gore, will ya?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do not use gasoline in a diesel engine!

Now, there will be people telling you they've done it for years. And people will tell you they set the governor to 5000 rpm without damage, and they haul 50,000 pound trailers up the mountains and so on, and so on.

In Indiana, you do not need anything more than Power Service to treat your diesel fuel down to as low as -40F. I used to live in Bismarck, North Dakota. I know cold. I never had my truck even stumble using #2 and PS! Others will swear by Howes. It seems to work, but I learned to trust my life to Power Service. Having my truck gel up while running across The top of Montana in winter is not a good situation.

I don't like running #1 fuel (kerosene). It will kill your mileage, power, and is ******* the IP. Don't know about the injectors. Ask OldBull, he can tell you.

While you're talking about storing diesel, you need to investigate the problems associated with the bacteria that live and thrive in diesel. Once more, Power Service will address this. Gasoline or kersoene will not.

Buy your #2 at the best price you can get. Treat it with a good quality additive, and use it as you need it this winter.

Keep a bottle of the red Diesel 911 in the cab. If it gets to -50, it'll de-gel you and get you going again. If it gets colder than that in Indiana, call Al Gore, will ya?

Err, Mercedes benz and Volvo, the largest truck builder in the world say it's ok to mix at up to 30% , that's not *just* some fella who's done it for a bunch of years.
I've run in temps way below -80 deg f ( the thermometer stopped registering at -80 ) I'd be running with a pile of snow on the floor that was blowing in past the door seals and wouldn't melt with the heaters running full tilt, and Power service is only good for comic relief in those conditions ( I used to run into some of the back woods kind of places that they are starting to show on that ice road truckers show, but I never ran out on large open water or up to the bay, because in those days back before satellite communications, you weren't allowed to run that far up unless you carried a stinkload of spare parts and supplies and tools, because nobody was coming for you, we had 2 guys in our company that carried the required equipment to run all the way and that's about all they did because the weight would cut them out of running the other way )

wmoguy

Reaction score
I buy kero for my WMO cocktail. The only station around me that carries it sells non taxed kero. There is no way they'd let you pump that directly in your tank. I can't think of any station that sells taxed kero actually.
Those stating they plan to run kero this winter better show up with a fuel can to fill than do their dirty deed at home...

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy kero for my WMO cocktail. The only station around me that carries it sells non taxed kero. There is no way they'd let you pump that directly in your tank. I can't think of any station that sells taxed kero actually.
Those stating they plan to run kero this winter better show up with a fuel can to fill than do their dirty deed at home...

Ha! Didn't think about that! Many of the larger truck stops will have taxed #1 fuel which is, for all intent and purposes, the same as kero.

Be very careful you don't get dyed kero. If they catch you with dyed fuel, it costs way too much.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Whether it's Kero or ULSD, I plan on showing up with a couple of cans, a couple of 55 gal cans that is :)