Another Vacuum Question

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Everybody,

Thanks for the coffe can help...Now one more...There is a little "tuna can" that has wires hooked up to it. The can is on the drivers side close to the softball size plastic vacuum thingy.

What is the "tuna can" with wires for? I unplugged it and nothing happened that I know of, but the wires hooked to it must be for something..

Thanks again...

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have cruise control check that and see if it goes to that. other than that you will just have to chase the wires and see where they lead.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That tuna can looking thing is the low vacuum switch. Its purpose is to lite up the dash signal when you loose the vacuum pump. You never really want to see that dash lite come on when your towing heavy. Its telling you the brakes are going to be really heavy and stopping will take plenty of time, pressure on the peddle and space.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuna Can

That tuna can looking thing is the low vacuum switch. Its purpose is to lite up the dash signal when you loose the vacuum pump. You never really want to see that dash lite come on when your towing heavy. Its telling you the brakes are going to be really heavy and stopping will take plenty of time, pressure on the peddle and space.

Thanks alot icanfixall...I suspected that, but I am usually wrong with my suspecting...I guess if I have the truck running I should disconnect the vacuum line from it and see if the light comes on...I didn't look on the dash when I unhooked the wires...