You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Started tackling the interior.

From the passenger side front seat. With the help of degreaser, and goof off (in a spritz bottle), I went to town with a scrub brush and a carpet cleaner using the wand attachment.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Carpet is better, but will need to be replaced in the future as it was just so stained with oil, grease, etc., that its to far gone. Got it good enough for right now though

Hadnt worked on that side yet besides vacuuming

So you got a car soaked to the bone...and its 95-100* outside with high humidity...what do you do....hmmm...Dont want mildew so.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's in the road! Have out about 60 miles on it since yesterday. Got it inspected, registered, titled, etc today. Yesterday it got new cheapo tires ($45 a piece!) and a lifetime alignment which is worth the extra $100 considering I still have more work to do. Still need to do cv boots, grit wheel bearings, brake pads, shocks/struts, but oh well! Power is pretty dismall but to be expected. So much more room than the Jetta, can actually sit in the seat in front of the carseat in the back.

stealthrabbit

Reaction score
Be careful about dragging vw-D's home.

It all started with the SECOND Rabbit, now the home place is JAMMED with VW-D's

Let me know if you need any VW-d junk or parts referrals. For east coast I usually use Adirondack (German Auto parts), Autohaus (AZ) and Halsey Discount Import Parts (Portland, OR) for online.

Good to get the lifetime alignment AND change those A-Arm bushings. I use the solid version (Audi TT) as replacements. They are $12 instead of $9, but ... I will have these beasts (B4V's) for the rest of my life...

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Holy cow you have a ton!

First road trip. Made it 250 miles. Tank said it had 12 gallons, put 16 into it. Wife spent a couple hours giving it it's first bath.

stealthrabbit

Reaction score
To get the FULL 25 gal in you must do a vent-ectomy... or push in the vent lever with the nozzle.

My wife and I have identical B4V's. We each get 48.5 mpg COMBINED mileage over ~ 5000 miles. I hyper mile (coast down hills) but I do a bit more turbo boost.

Mileage dropped to 40mpg this week towing a trailer with 2 XS 650's through the mtns of Colorado.

I use Stanadyne or Amsoil Diesel conditioner. I have had to replace the top gaasket on pumps but nothing else (except timing belt and water pump)

I have 1,100,000 miles on my 5 TDI's

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes we held the tab like we do for the MKIV Jetta's as I haven't actually gotten in there and done the ventectomy yet.

Just got back, and filled up. I would post mileage but I know it's not accurate as the nozzle I used wa extremely touchy, and I couldn't get it to trickle (either flowing or not flowing) and it was taking way to long. So tomorrow I will go and fill it up the rest of the way and see what it actually is. The fuel gauge read slighty above 13 gallons, and we had 528.5 miles on it. when we filled up at slightly below the 12 gallon mark it took 16 gallons so it should be off by a gallon or two at this point.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Still have the wagon. Recently it got a new clutch/pressure plate, and new motor mounts. It also got a new (probably chinesium) drivers axle, and will probably get a passenger side one as the inner boot is toast. I'm going to save the stock ones, and send them in to raxles and have them rebuilt one day, but thats not in the budget right now (both rebuilt is around $450, vs $180 for new ones that should last until the stock ones get rebuilt).

I have an EGR delete intake ready to go on to change out the clogged up stock one. My next project is to rip the dash apart and re foam the blend doors, as its all blown out (so very crappy heat). I installed fog lights, with a euro headlight switch. And thats all I can think of right now. Its been getting mid 40's mpg, which should only get better. It needs shocks/struts, and some new brake rotors.

Last edited:

stealthrabbit

Reaction score
Still have the wagon. .... drivers axle, ... (both rebuilt is around $450, vs $180 for new ones that should last until the stock ones get rebuilt). ... It needs shocks/struts, and some new brake calipers.

Do some more 'Shopping' for realistic price on axles. I keep an account at Halsey Import and most rebuilt axles are $80 each side COMPLETE. CV Boots are $12 each. Save up to buy some Biltstein struts (I buy mine USED for under $100) They will outlast me.

AZ Autohauz is another place for cheap but decent quality VW parts.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I know it, but there is a huge difference between part store rebuilt and raxles. Definately worth the money, especially considering you have to give uo your cores to be rebuilt.

It's like an autozone rebuilt alternator vs one done by a local shop.

stealthrabbit

Reaction score
OK, just be wise and informed in your quest to equip your German made TDI !

I only replace using Lobro (German OEM) CV's ($39) and German boots. ($12)

I certainly would not want anyone attempting to use my 300,000 mile German CVs to rebuilt my joints!
I have not set foot in an autozone or equivalent in my 40+ yrs of wrenching on diesels.

YMMV.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow sharp!! looks like you found a good one for next to nothing!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Why is the carpet so wet? Bad windshield seal. Had a guy come out and remove old windshield. Lots of rust, so we told him to go home so I could repair. Ground down, hit it with some acid, then primer, body filler, paint and clear coat. Apparently they dont like to put down new sealant over clear coat so he had to rough it up I guess (wife was there, I wasn't). So now thats fixed. Wife re-did the headliner in plaid, along with making shift boot and ebrake boots out of it as well. I'm ordering up some carpet so I can get the old stained crap out of there. After that the only other real interior piece that we need is a new steering wheel, this one is all crumbly. I'm thinking a MKIV steering wheel, thats what she wants as well.

Damn Rust

Headliner

Cleaning the door panels
Before:

After

During