Another one bites the dust.....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
..South Bend clutch and Kevlar pilot bushing -cuss

Got a Valair comming and the f/w is being surfaced and will pick it up after 12 pm tomorrow...hope to have her back up and running tomorrow evening---IF the clutch gets here....was supposed to be here today :dunno

Still not sold on the Kevlar either...when I installed it, used Loctite bearing+sleeve loc and pressed it in....just like the one before it cookoo

And YES...the input shaft bearing is fine and I have NO inj "pulse" issues or bad UVC or anything else......

Also found a part of the throw out bearing hanging...appears to be part of a spring or sumptin.......

Required pics.....Rissafrikkinfrakn........
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have been told that is typical of hauling heavy or launching ie drag racing... I'm pretty sure you haven't been doing either one of those.... Have you talked to Peter at SBC about it?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I have been told that is typical of hauling heavy or launching ie drag racing... I'm pretty sure you haven't been doing either one of those.... Have you talked to Peter at SBC about it?

Well....a big NEGATIVE on both considering that I have not even hooked up to a sled with the new clutch nor have I done any drag racing/heavy launches....

The biggest load behind it "was" the 16' flat trailer loaded up with our 4 wheelers for the 45 minute drive to Busco mebee a dozen times in total since the new clutch....

Hell, and for the past couple years, White Woman has been driving it back and forth to work at Lowes...30 mile round trip , and I know she don't try and beat the brakes off it when she drives :D

I just dunno.....I called SB about a replacement and their "best" price was $500+ just for a base clutch--and I had a CON O FE so after checking around I went with a Valair unit good for 450 HP and shipped to my door is $345....

With that said and my history with SB units.....time for a change...no?

south bend clutch

Reaction score
Just came across this. The clutch you have pictured was a a batch of disc that started showing up in mid 07 where the process of tempering the springs was done incorrectly by the manufacture. Unfortunately it was to the tune of 3500 pieces which is months of sales. That hurt!! Not quite sure as to why I was not contacted on this matter. I would have requested a picture of the disc to verify the product in question and resolved the issue immediately even though it was past the warranty. Anyhow, good luck with your new purchase.

Peter

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like Peter is a stand up kind of guy... Someone should have given him a call. This could have turned out completely differant. Who would have thought that there was a defective process issue going on. Kinda sorry for this problem to pop up... Maybe if this was something that could have been mailed out to possible customers way ahead of the failure things would be differant too....

south bend clutch

Reaction score
Sounds like Peter is a stand up kind of guy... Someone should have given him a call. This could have turned out completely differant. Who would have thought that there was a defective process issue going on. Kinda sorry for this problem to pop up... Maybe if this was something that could have been mailed out to possible customers way ahead of the failure things would be differant too....

Believe you me we thought about what you suggested but the problem didn't rear its ugly head for a while. The other problem is that we would never be able to obtain a list as we sell on so many levels. warehouses who sell to dealers who sell to stores who sell to retail. There would be no way to pin it down as to who actually purchased them. As to not creat a wide spread panic all we could do is sit back and wait, then deal with it accordingly. Fortunately most all have shown....shew!

Peter

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
In the FWIW dept...I did call you Peter, and even identified myself.

With that said,

The other problem is that we would never be able to obtain a list as we sell on so many levels. warehouses who sell to dealers who sell to stores who sell to retail.

I dealt with you directly on that matter here on our forums
so contacting myself, Argve {Travis} and Rubberfish {Bob} who all had similiar issues that you were personally involved in, at least would have been easy :dunno

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
been thinking about this for a while now.....

...and I must say I'm not very impressed with the reaction of South Bend /Peter Phyfer

OK...so yea they got some bad material and KNEW about it
south bend clutch said:
Just came across this. The clutch you have pictured was a a batch of disc that started showing up in mid 07 where the process of tempering the springs was done incorrectly by the manufacture. Unfortunately it was to the tune of 3500 pieces which is months of sales.

....so the "official" word is ....

south bend clutch said:
There would be no way to pin it down as to who actually purchased them. As to not creat a wide spread panic all we could do is sit back and wait, then deal with it accordingly. Fortunately most all have shown.

Wide spread panic??????? So you guys get some phone calls/emails or actual messages on the sites you are registered at....mebee you forget just how "small" a community diesel truck owners are---VERY tight knit, but small.

I take interest in the last sentence..."most have shown"
What? they are still doing fine....or have they destroyed themselves :dunno

;Really Now... how SBC is able to lurk about on sites they have advertiseing interest in---- BUT fail to post even a general notification on the very same sites that they hawk their product at regarding the possibility of an inferior product.........

Funny...I ran my LUK on the edge constantly and it had close to 175k mi on it when I sold the truck....

Funny [sic] how I have had TWO South Bend clutches now and have yet to get past 70K mi on either one.....
and the real kick is---
I never even hooked up to a sled with either one..I bought a South Bend Clutch on referral so I COULD PULL !

..all my pulling was on the "orig" factory Dual mass that lasted 160k mi!

OK..rant off

Last edited: