Another hard cold start issue

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else tried using staring fluid to check line leaks. I have on a gas burner used brake cleaner to located vacuum leaks. Starting fluid sounds like a good idea for a diesel.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are suppost the replace the the ip and the injectors at the same time

I disagree. Though by the time one wears out the other is probably done, thats not necessarily the case. If my IP dies tomorrow I won't be replacing one year old injectors just because I'm doing the IP.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some clear line on filter head down to #1. I thought for sure I'd see air, nope no air in even after sitting all night.
My thoughts seems like glow plugs are not heating up good enough to start cold. Said to myself I'll heat them for 20secs, I was doing about 10. 48* out side right now and truck has been sitting for a few hours, though not total cold, 20secs on GP's and a little throttle it popped right off.
I'm thinking the wires running from the relay to the plugs are weak or even possible shorted. I have though checked voltage on each one, good for 9volts. Maybe not carrying enough amps to them. Thinking about making me a custom harness from the relay to the GP. I already run a #4 cable up to the relay.

Also: How much if any will improper timing affect cold starting?? Thanks for any feedback..

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 seconds is probably ok a few times, but I suspect after too much of that you'll be burning them out. My truck definitely starts better when I leave the glowplugs on a while, but too much of that just kills em. For what its worth, when I replaced all the glowplugs in my truck I took one of the old motorcraft glowplugs and hit it with a 50 amp starting charge, and it took about 65 seconds before shorting internally. However, I've heard that our batteries supply lots more than 50 amps so that test probably isn't worth the electrons it took to bring it to you. If I was you, I'd ohm each plug to ground to make darn sure they're all good. And then, if you make your own harness, take lots of pics and write it up. My harness could sure use replacing.

Last edited:

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered u-haul IP tonight, I hope this solves the problem.
Any one using the ferret timing adapter, Looking at getting one of those too.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I now have replaced the IP and timed it with my ferret adapter. Still the same hard starting in the morning.
So tonight I replaced the glow plug harness with a custom one that I made. (I have pictures if interested) I'll Try again in the morning but I have my doubts.

What gives? I can plug the heater up and the next morning it will pop off without even touching the glow plugs. I took one GP out and hit the switch and in about 5secs it's getting red. Looks normal.
There is nothing left to replace on the fuel system, what am I missing. My wallet is getting pissed off at this point.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you test ALL the glow plugs?. I had 3 bad glow plugs that made it start hard when cold and in the winter forget about it.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you test ALL the glow plugs?. I had 3 bad glow plugs that made it start hard when cold and in the winter forget about it.
There all new plus I checked them with an ohm meter.
It did seem to start better this morning after putting on the new glow plug harness. Just one key cycle and it started, I was having to do three cycles to let the starter rest.
I am going to pull the starter off and inspect and clean the armature. Maybe a few more rpms on the starter will help too.