Another 2wd to 4wd swap...wish me luck

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 1993 F350 crew cab 4x4 w/e4od today. It is a donor for 4x4 stuff for my '95 crew cab.

So, as far as I can tell, this should be a pretty straightforward swap.

I know several folks have done this swap, are there any gotchas I can expect?

If the swap is a success, my '91 will go up for sale. The 5-speed in it is just too rough on the wife at the boat ramp.

Thanks,

Greg

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing much to suggest other than you're going to have fun with the rivets. grind them down and push the remainder out with an air hammer;Sweet
the track bar bracket and the front driveshaft will make the graft go smoother.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as tow said--and when you put bolts in place of the rivets--use grade 8---and make the holes for them--------TIGHT-------and use locktite----

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Are there issues with using the '93 E4OD in the '95 truck? Wiring or anything like that?

Greg

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Are there issues with using the '93 E4OD in the '95 truck? Wiring or anything like that?

Greg
iirc they are completely incompatible. different wiring. is your '95 a E4DOA too? If so, all you need is the tailhousing off the '93. 2wd and 4wd is a swap of the tailhousing.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc they are completely incompatible. different wiring. is your '95 a E4DOA too? If so, all you need is the tailhousing off the '93. 2wd and 4wd is a swap of the tailhousing.

The '95 is an E4OD also. I thought the tailshaft was different, too? If all I need to do is swap the tailhousings, that's great news.

We got the '93 all torn down today, and grabbed all the wiring from the transfer case and transmission.

Greg

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The '95 is an E4OD also. I thought the tailshaft was different, too? If all I need to do is swap the tailhousings, that's great news.

We got the '93 all torn down today, and grabbed all the wiring from the transfer case and transmission.

Greg

But there is a little catch on the tailshaft. The tranny needs to be disassembled to change it.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two questions, just for clarity.

One.... Does the transfer case extension bolt up in place of the normal 2wd extension.

Two.... Is the tailshaft the same between a 2wd and a 4wd tranny.

Thanks

Greg

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just answered my own question after measuring the tasilshaft lengths of the two trannies.

The automatic E4OD tailshaft is 4" longer tha the 4x4 version.

I gotta say, I really dislike getting incomplete info.

Now, my next question, will the '93 E4OD work with the '95 truck? The connectors appear to be identical between the two wiring harnesses.

Thanks,

Greg

t-roymoose

Reaction score
;Sweet I have done a 2WD to 4WD on a 93 Ford F-350 crew cab dually. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a 88 F-350 crew cab dually on the cheap. Before I even started, I did lots of research to make sure the frames were the same. I took lots of pictures before I took anything off. There was only mounting holes that were different (for my project). I used the front suspension and the trans/transfer case for my truck. They were both 5 speeds. The worst part was cutting all of the rivets out. That was the hardest part. To drill the new mounting holes, get a good drill bit. I got a Dewalt bit that had a pilot tip on it. That made my life sooooo much easier. I used grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts. I absolutly love that my truck is 4X4 now. It does great off road (it is a bit long and wide). The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to hook up the 4X4 indicator light on the dash (minor detail). The rivets are the only thing that is the major pain in the @$$!

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ground all the rivets out of the donor truck yesterday. Wow, that was a crummy job.

As for your 4x4 indicator lights, I did notice that on my '91 the 1365 transfer case uses a different connector than the 1365 in the '93 and '95.

Maybe it's just a case of needing to splice in the right connector for you?

How did you attach the spring shackles up front? My '95 does not have a boxed in front frame, but the '93 4x4 does. Getting that boxed section off the donor is gonna be REAL fun, 10 inches of weld and three rivets.

Oh, one other thing, was the pitman arm different between the 2wd and 4wd? I was planning to remove it from the donor, but if it's not needed then I'll save my energy....lol....

Greg

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
93 trans should be the same except for the seloniod pack and the accumulator body assembly, different passages as I recall.
connectors are the same.
you will also need to use the 95 TC
all ya need to do is swap them.
as for the indicator lights all ya should have to do is swap pigtails and find the wires, not shure if a 2wd has them on it or not

Not shure on the frame, dont have a 2wd to campare.
The pitman arm is different, not shure on the rest of the steering linkage

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I just answered my own question after measuring the tasilshaft lengths of the two trannies.

The automatic E4OD tailshaft is 4" longer tha the 4x4 version.

I gotta say, I really dislike getting incomplete info.

Now, my next question, will the '93 E4OD work with the '95 truck? The connectors appear to be identical between the two wiring harnesses.

Thanks,

Greg

If the plug is the same. Just plug it in. no change required. The tailshaft housings will interchange. The output shafts wont. Disassembly of the tranny will be required to get the snap ring off. The only way to change the output shaft. You might want to do any upgrades to the tranny if required.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I did a 2wd to 4wd swap on my 91...Pretty much a bolt in deal except for the front end of the leafs, I had to make a 3/4" spacer to compensate for the missing divot in the 2wd frame that the 4wd frames have where the shackle mounts. Other than that it went good. Started Friday night and I drove it to work on Monday morning. Drives good. Spend the money for good steel lock nuts - not nyloc's if you can get them. Much safer and they hold better. Good drill bits and a torch will make your life much easier. Use cutting oil when you drill and your bit will stay sharper much longer, keep your drill speed to 500rpm if you can. The 92-97 frames have the crumple zone up front, I'm not sure if that will affect you or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online