Annoying Turbo Noise

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Hypermax Cowl Intake about a month ago, but it wasn't until this week that I've noticed an unpleasant whine coming from my turbo- it is during acceleration and only in the power band. I can still hear the turbo spool like usual (barely) but this new noise is like a higher pitched whine that made me check if there was something lodged in the intake or something.....
I hope it's not a bad bearing or something wrong with the turbo. My turbo oil line seals do have some seepage but it is getting oil as far as I know. Don't have the boost or oil pressure gauge in yet. Truck seems to drive like usual and gets decent mileage. Has very little power but I don't have anything to compare it to. Just the 500hp Detroits at work.

Thanks

Last edited:

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compressor wheel rubing the side of housing. You can reach in the turbo with two fingers and grap the nut see if you can wiggle the shaft up and down if so spin it in your fingers and see if it rubs the housing. If so you need a rebuild and I recommend conastoga deisel give Mel a call. That's just my $0.02

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A turbo makes a whine sound when the turbo is spinning during power needs of the engine. The turbo spins in excess of 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second. All of them with whistle. For most its a wanted sound of power. The information about bladerubbing the housing is a possibility and simple to check for as posted.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo makes a whine sound when the turbo is spinning during power needs of the engine. The turbo spins in excess of 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second. All of them with whistle. For most its a wanted sound of power. The information about bladerubbing the housing is a possibility and simple to check for as posted.

Haha, I agree. I'm noticing a new strange whine in addition to the desirable turbo whistle.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
even a brand new turbo will rub the housing when no oil pressure is up there and you push against it. now obviously if there is excessive play it needs to be fixed.

it's time to install a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge as well.

Last edited: