....and there goes the clutch.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, the clutch has been slipping slightly for the last couple months. I knew it, and ws trying to baby it along until after this summer....waiting to put a new one in.

Well, today I had to take the truck a mile up the road......and I think the old clutch is waiting to find a croweded road to decide it's had enough.

I was rolling along in fourth, seemed fine...shifted into fifth adn put a little pedal to it to get upto the speed limit....and it started slipping pretty good....raised teh RPM's by 3 or 400 with 1/4 throttle application.

GREAT, there goes some more wedding $$ on something I don't have time to fix!!! DAMMIT!!

On the plus side, I can do the job myself with my own tools, but that's beside the point. I simply do NOT have the time for this. I guess it's just another story in the everyday life for the average guy.....ugh.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kinda sucks it let go right there. Good thing its a DIY to keep costs down.
Ya know one thing I've tried to do is replace stuff I think is going bad...... if I have time:eek:LOL
Good luck

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transmission really doesnt weigh THAT much... me and my bro 2 manned mine into a bronco... by hand, no lifts/jacks (just a jack stand to set the Xfer-case on while we raised the heavier end)

Might be a bit harder for you, i did this in an 89 bronco :) my parts truck the frame seems higher, meaning lifting the trans higher... but only by 2-3 inches tops

id say the trans is about 200 pounds. if you disconnect your drive shaft(s) you should be able to just slide the trans crossmember back with tranny on it, and use a jackstand to hold the front up while you do the clutch... i think R&R on mine took about 2 hours, and that included driving to town to buy a new torque wrench as mine was siezed up

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by slipping I'm curious bc I want to know when my clutch is going or is about to go

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I feel your pain Goof. I had an employee stick a piece of rebar into my mortor mixer (trying to clean it), while it was running. Just one more thing I don't have time to deal with.

Good Luck!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm ok I know remember a member on here telling me how to check for slipping. Mines still good:) is there any other things that happen when the clutch is slipping?...sorry for the thread jack goofy I promise I won't ask any more