And now my first experience with waste oil theft

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
And this time it's ATF. I have a car shop that fills a 55 gallon drum that I place on their site with ATF exclusively. I get about a drum full monthly. I went today (30 minute drive) to do my pickup and someone had taken it. Maybe the problem is that on the top of the drum I wrote "ATF ONLY PLEASE".

My God the things people do. I'm going to replace the sign with "Antifreeze Only Please"

That or weld a hasp over the 2" bung.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
or have one drum filled with atf and lots of sugar labeled ATF only and one labeled differently where only you and the shop know that it's the good drum

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
And this time it's ATF. I have a car shop that fills a 55 gallon drum that I place on their site with ATF exclusively. I get about a drum full monthly. I went today (30 minute drive) to do my pickup and someone had taken it. Maybe the problem is that on the top of the drum I wrote "ATF ONLY PLEASE".

My God the things people do. I'm going to replace the sign with "Antifreeze Only Please"

That or weld a hasp over the 2" bung.

did they take the whole drum? Or just its contents? :dunno

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
The only problem with locking it up is that when the thieves get desperate enough, you will end up with a hole in your barrel... Maybe your shop has some sort of shed or a place inside where the waste oil could be stored? If they have a secure place to keep the oil, then it wouldn't hurt to keep a nice sugary, acidic, or otherwise harmful decoy outside...

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well the interesting thing is that they don't take the motor oil which is right beside it. We'll see...

I'm going to offer them a drum dolly and see if they'll keep the atf drum inside.

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One friend of mine had some biodiesel stolen once. It was stolen out of a red gas can on his property. I'm sure the thieves assumed it was gasoline. That must have been funny a couple of blocks later when their gas vehicle died...

joe_diesel

Reaction score
Some people are *****. I've had fuel taken from the boat (about 60 gal) and fuel taken from my front end loader (about 30 gal). Then another smaller boat was stolen, then a screen on the house was removed (and damaged) with tool marks left on the window frame. Not sure what they were thinking as I have dual full glass doors leading out to the back porch and another 5 very large window in that room they could have just put a brick through. The alarm would have sounded (as if it would do any good) either way. This has all occured in the past 8 or 9 months. This is at the house in Indiana that is very remote and not visable from the road or any other homes. I'm frustrated over what to do about it and have given thought to renting that house until I either return to Indiana or sell it and stay here in Mississippi.