.....and it dies again

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coming home from work last night went to take a hill and she bogged down real bad, so i downshifted to 3rd and held it to the wood. got to the stop sign at the top and it died. Batteries were dead too:mad: couple people stopped and helped push me down the other side where it roll started. got half way up my driveway, died. I'm getting ALOT of air when my dad purges the valve on the side of the fuel filter. Truck will run about 15-20secs then die. guess its time for new fuel lines, IP, and injectors

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a dying lift pump not filling the filter fast enough.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
new parts can go bad, when it is running do you have fuel pressure at the shrader valve. might be a bad pump but i would highly suspect an air intrusion somewhere between the tank and fuel pump to get that much air in the system especially when running.

new parts are nice but if you dont put the right ones in you will still have problems.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's why i'm replacing everything. the truck has 152,000 miles on original pump, injectors, etc so i know it all needs replacing. new line from the tank foward is going to be installed also

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have a fuel delivery problem. Loosen the Shraeder valve on the filter housing to see if you get any fuel coming out when running. Your filter may be plugged. You may have installed your lift pump incorrectly (the arm can be installed on the wrong side of the cam). You may have an air leak between the tank and the lift pump, allowing air intrusion. If you have one of the old wall-mounted water separators, that's a likely culprit for air intrusion.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that's why i'm replacing everything. the truck has 152,000 miles on original pump, injectors, etc so i know it all needs replacing. new line from the tank foward is going to be installed also

just didnt want to see you spend a bunch in new parts to not see the problem fixed. i think Monte has some real good suggestions to check to.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is convert to an electric fuel pump and go from there. I'm glad you want to replace everything, but I wouldn't replace ANYTHING until I knew exactly what the problem was. Introducing new parts at this stage will only introduce the possibility of having multiple problems if any of the new parts are faulty, and repair may drive you to insanity.

This is the voice of experience talking. Don't ignore it.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Don't kill yourself trying to figure it all out, man. If you end up replacing a lot of stuff and want more money for it, then it's going to be something I can't afford anymore. Just trying to be honest and letting you know. If it is still acting up and not running right, then we'll just have to work something out that's fair for both of us.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think that it is the fuel/water separator because the frame is wet beneath it. I'm going to bypass it for a little bit to see if that is the problem. if not, keep going from there, i know the IP needs replaced because the truck didn't have power and it ran rough with smoke

i have read about alot of solutions for the fuel water separator but what do you guys think is the best replacement?

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't kill yourself trying to figure it all out, man. If you end up replacing a lot of stuff and want more money for it, then it's going to be something I can't afford anymore. Just trying to be honest and letting you know. If it is still acting up and not running right, then we'll just have to work something out that's fair for both of us.

honestly my dad doesn't wanna do anymore selling or trading after this last one so i don't think he is going to go for our deal, sorry man