"Ambulance" 7.3L

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok the '92 i have has a Jasper rebuilt 7.3L with 60K on it. the motor was pulled out of an ambulance,me and the guy i purchased it from notice it runs smoother, idles smoother and feels a little bit more powerful than any other 7.3 IDI we've seen. did they "work up" these emergency vehicle motors at all? :confused:

oh and on injector...uhmmm 2? (driver side second back from front) had an 1" spacer on the injetion line that caused it to hit the air cleaner, the guy that swapped it trimmed the air cleaner but i got the crazy notion to take it off when i changed the o-rings, now i probably should put it back on now b/c that injector will get a different pressure correct? :dunno

-Jon

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok the '92 i have has a Jasper rebuilt 7.3L with 60K on it. the motor was pulled out of an ambulance,me and the guy i purchased it from notice it runs smoother, idles smoother and feels a little bit more powerful than any other 7.3 IDI we've seen. did they "work up" these emergency vehicle motors at all? :confused:

oh and on injector...uhmmm 2? (driver side second back from front) had an 1" spacer on the injetion line that caused it to hit the air cleaner, the guy that swapped it trimmed the air cleaner but i got the crazy notion to take it off when i changed the o-rings, now i probably should put it back on now b/c that injector will get a different pressure correct? :dunno

-Jon

Unless I'm horribly mistaken , that timing adapter ( that 1" spacer thingy) should be on #1 to time the thing, or I suppose it could be on #4 as well, that is the alternative timing point

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have an E-series motor in your truck.
you can't get to #1 easily in a van to time the motor, but getting to the driver's side is.
leave it alone. If you pull it you will have shortened the line and you will have idle and performance issues.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those thing's on the 88 7.3 motor I just got, it's mounted on the #1 cyl. injector, was wondering what it was, now I know. It's for timing eh ? Good to know that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I guess what none of us have quite clarified is that the second one back on the drivers side is # 4 and yes it is supposed to be there. Sorry, right before bed time. 1357 on the pass side, 2468 on the drivers side
For the factory pulse adapter that thing unscrews and another piece screws in it's place if memory serves me. If you use a Ferret you don't have to go through that much fuss, you just clamp it on the outside of the line.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
-Jon

Sounds like a good fresh tight motor.
Usually any work ups on the ambulance was just the high amp alternators.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it was ( properly ) fleet maintained, chances are the thing is in real good shape. way back when I was maintaining a fleet of busses with these engines in them ( back when the engines first came out ) we had them on an intense preventive maintnence schedule and we NEVER had anything major go wrong with the things. It was all scheduled service, clutch jobs , brakes, and the occasional body panel replacement and wiring issues unrelated to the engines. When I left there, they were just starting to loose some injection pumps with some pretty high miles, but those bus pumps are castrated something fierce , so a lot less operating pressure so the pumps hold on longer. Never replaced an injector in one

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I think they just get 1 in a Million. My 85 6.9 runs amazingly well. Even with over 300K on it. It has just about as much power as My 93 7.3 Turbo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. You absolutely need that adapter on #4, or get yourself a 6.9 or 7.3 F series #4 injection line. Most of us that time, don't use the rotunda meter that was made for that adapter, so from a timing perspective, yea you don't need it. But from a hydraulic perspective you do. If it hits the air cleaner, then something on the air intake arrangement isn't stock either.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Ambulance 7.3 in my truck as well. It was not maintained very well. I know from the scrapyard owner that he was told it had a leaking waterpump and they let it get too low and the motor got "real hot." Cracked the driver's side head.:backoff Anywho.....I just put all the F-Series parts from the 6.9 that was in the truck on the 7.3 (oil cooler, driver's exhuast manifold, fuel filter housing, injection pump, ........and so on.

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yup. You absolutely need that adapter on #4, or get yourself a 6.9 or 7.3 F series #4 injection line. Most of us that time, don't use the rotunda meter that was made for that adapter, so from a timing perspective, yea you don't need it. But from a hydraulic perspective you do. If it hits the air cleaner, then something on the air intake arrangement isn't stock either.

i'll throw that back on tomorrow.

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7