Am I missing my magnet?

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Got a reading from my timing meter; is it plausible?

Trying to adjust timing and cannot get a rpm reading on the rotunda 78-0100.. -cuss

Have sanded and cleaned the harmonic balancer and positioned the pickup as close as I can, but as soon as I start up the degree scale blanks out and is not even giving an erratic reading. Could be that there is something wrong with the pickup itself, but I'm starting to wonder if the magnet is missing from the harmonic balancer: There is a groove on the balancer (check photo), is this supposed to be empty or is this where the magnet is supposed to sit?

Attachments

• harmonicbalanser.jpg
    harmonicbalanser.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is no magnet on the vibration dampner wheel. Its in the pickup probe end. Try cleaning out the bottom of the line on the dampner. What your trying to achieve is an interuption of the magnetic field every time the mark comes around on the dampner. The probe needs to be 1/16th inch or less from the rotating wheel.

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gave it another shot and it came alive: Needed to rev it and hold some higher rpm before it picked up a measurement and the numbers started to roll. ;Sweet

Got it at a steady 1400 rpm and it read between -16 and -16.5... Is the negative numbers ATDC or BTDC?

My initial problem is an old pump and newer injection nozzles which should give me a to late timing, which leads me to think that this is 16 degrees ATDC. I should be at 4 deg ATDC, is it possible that I'm 12 degrees off? The truck starts to run rough and smoke when rpms is advancing to 2000. Up to that it runs fine, and starts as a champ.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
- should be after, if it was 16 before i doubt it would start. take a look at the timing notes on my web page http://webpages.charter.net/idi_diesel my 93 7.3 was 18 after, now 2 degrees after. if you can get it to -2 / -3 it should be good. i assume you have the lumi probe pick up? also make sure the mag pickup hole is clean you need a good ground there also.

runs rough as rpms adavance - mine did same thing until timing was changed, it's funny becasue the advance almost seems to work backwards when the timing is off that far but i think it's becasue the fuel doesn't burn fast enough before the exhaust cycle...

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. There's no mag on the harmonic balancer. On my 7.3 IDI, I have a pulse pick up on my #1 cylinder (first injector on the left side looking at the truck or passenger side in other words). I believe you use the pulse pick-up on the injector, . . .

Marq
Boise, Idaho

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After spending half the day making tools so I could get to those bolts, it was a five minute job of loosening the bolts, twisting the pump and fastening the bolts before starting up to check: dead on! :thumbsup: 4.5-5.5 deg ATDC and runs smooth with no smoke. Well, only a small puff of bluish smoke when I let go of the throttle and let it drop from full throttle to idle.

Thanks for the help ;Sweet

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand how much the cold advance solenoid, actually advances the timing??

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere: