Aluminum Radiators On the Cheap...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the G05 specs, it's Ford approved and Mercedes Benz among others. It's nothing new, they have been using this stuff for years in Europe where most of their cars are diesels. They are big on low phosphate coolant over there too, and that's why they mention it in the specs also.

I did days of research on this, but i don't think I copied any of the websites I ran across that explained all this stuff, but I came to the conclusion this stuff would work, was readily available, and not too expensive. I mentioned something about it when I picked it up at the Napa store, and the guy behind the counter said it's all he ever used in the Mercedes Benz diesels.

What I think is strange every time I check the coolant, it looks like dirty water. It comes that way out of the jug. I am so used to coolant being green.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I ordered one tonight.....my upper tank is litterally hanging on by a thread. I betcha anything over 220*F and a good pothole and I will be cleaning up my coolant with a couple rags.....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i am assuming that you got the champion rad goofy? Mine is scheduled to get here tomorrow or friday. i can't wait cuz that is all that is holding me back from getting this rig running again.;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i am assuming that you got the champion rad goofy? Mine is scheduled to get here tomorrow or friday. i can't wait cuz that is all that is holding me back from getting this rig running again.;Sweet

That's a BIG 10-42 on the champion rad!!! Locally, I couldn't buy a USED one for under $400.....people know what they have with these things.....I can't buy a new one locally for under $850.

If yours lands here before mine does, and you get it in, let us know how it goes together. Have we decided if the coolant we use in teh brass ones is what we can use in the champions?

If not, plain and simple what coolant should I be running? Cat coolant, generic or what?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That's a BIG 10-42 on the champion rad!!! Locally, I couldn't buy a USED one for under $400.....people know what they have with these things.....I can't buy a new one locally for under $850.

If yours lands here before mine does, and you get it in, let us know how it goes together. Have we decided if the coolant we use in teh brass ones is what we can use in the champions?

If not, plain and simple what coolant should I be running? Cat coolant, generic or what?

Cool. Will do on the results when i get mine put in. as far as the coolant goes i had originally baught fleet charge, but after learning about coolant on here i decided to err on the side of caution. so i returned the fleet charge and i went to car quest and baught 5 gallons of Zerex GO5. it was $17/gallon for me but i am more comfortable with the fact that it specifically says that it contains stuff that protects alluminum.

So to make that nice and i clear...i will be running Zerex GO5.
I could not find it at oreilys or auto zone. don't know about advance auto though. but car quest had a ton of it.

There is a good post over on FTE about coolant and what coolant to use with an alluminum radiator. It is in the IDI section over there and the title of the thread is "coolant question" IIRC. i would post the link but my dial up internet is being super pissy today. if you can't find it let me know and i will post the link tomorrow when i have wi-fi at school.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. everytime i get on oilburners i find something else to drain my bank account. that radiator looks like a great deal. if anyone can add some pics of the install and how it fits it would seal the deal for me...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
lol. everytime i get on oilburners i find something else to drain my bank account. that radiator looks like a great deal. if anyone can add some pics of the install and how it fits it would seal the deal for me...

I will post up some pics of the rad and the install and provide a report on the fit and how the install went when i get mine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also was wondering about this coolant, everyone says the CAT ELC will eat your oil cooler o-rings... what about this?

never heard that before.:dunno
The low silicate coolant has the proper additives to prevent corrosion of the engine metals.
Fleet charge is good with aluminum, lots of AL parts on trucks these days.
I use the Zerex in mine, except for leaving it all on the hiway east of Butte.
I am really at am impass on trying one of those radiators, I have a chronic heating issue, Be a good test.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... Pull the heads and remove the plugs in the lower corners of the block and heads. Then reassemble with 6.9 head gaskets. The only differance I found in the 6.9 and 7.3 head gaskets is the lower coolant ports open on the 6.9 and closed on the 7.3... Why the hell would this be done.... To maintain a higher heat in the coolant which makes for a better fuel burn. That means less pollutuion out the pipe.... Just my wag.....:angel:

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else try these.....i have a new clutch fan, new thermostat, and teh truck still heats to the L and a little past on the word normal.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my issue with mine resolved and have since been very happy. Temps stay very stable when going up hills at 6% grades (never see above 205 running WOT) before it was close to 220 in the same situation with the old radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle